Black Rock Desert

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Yes you are probably as right as rain,
There is a place in eastern Utah and western CO that matches your description as well.

Ironic to say the least.

Thom

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
Unfortunately I am just interested in the Black Rock Desert of Utah unless you know something cool about the one in Nevada..

April TH

Mar 29, 2007
There are two different places that are called Black Rock around Delta. There is one that is south of Delta, where there is a ranch now. There is another that I have been to that is north of Delta, by desert mountain and the old Pony Express trail. Can you be more specific?
They both have black rocks, not sure of the color of sand there. I think they both have light colored dirt or sand. The rocks are volcanic.

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
Thanks for the information, do you know if the ranch owner will let people MD on his property? The other place you are talking about, do you know if anybody owns that land as well? I have not been to either location and I am just going off of an idea that came to mind while doing some research, I wish that I could be more specific.

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The Black Rock Desert area south of Delta is pretty much all light colored sand and black lava flows. The actual Black Rock is a ranch owned by the Kaufmann family. They farm some and run a bunch of cattle. You can get to the Kaufmanns by going south from Delta or west from Cove Fort. The extinct volcano just west of the town of Kanosh is also called Black Rock. Most of the land is BLM land. The Kaufmanns own the lake and the farm ground.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I have had this in my files for a number of years…38.7434N x 113.024W….Suppose to be some gold bars in a cave. If you are in the area stop by and check it out….

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
aarthrj3811 said:
I have had this in my files for a number of years…38.7434N x 113.024W….Suppose to be some gold bars in a cave. If you are in the area stop by and check it out….

Is this related to that story a few years back about a man who found some gold bars in a cave along with some undetonated explosives that was supposedly left there by the US Cavalry many years back? The gentleman in question would not remove the gold bars until he knew for certain that the bars were not on private property as I recall. If I am ever in that area I will be sure to check it out but as a lot of old caves have been found here in Utah many of them have been sealed off to prevent people making from stupid mistakes which lead to them not leaving the cave alive or actually not ever leaving the cave. If I do check it out I will be sure to carry a big gun just in case I meet anything bigger than me living in the cave and make sure that I have the other proper supplies. Also if you would wish me luck and cross your fingers that might also help out.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
The story I heard was that he was looking for arrow heads and found the cave. He took one bar and went to the BLM and ask them what his cut would be for the find. Zero and took the bar of gold. He would not tell them where he found it and they followed him for years.

I also have some information about gold and a brass cannon East of Long Ridge Res...Send me an e-mail and I will send the maps....Art

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I live on the eastern edge of the Black Rock Desert. I'd be happy to provide what information I might be able to.

OP
OP
R

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
I would be happy to chat with you. I am still waiting for things to cool down a bit though before I head on down. Also, what do you know about the sevier dry lake?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread