Best Tesoro for Coinshooting in bad soil?

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I have been looking to get another detector for my GF. She has used the X-terra 70 and the Tesoro LST in the past. My question to you Tesoro Pro's is which detector will work best for coin hunting on the west coast (moderate to bad soil). What kind of depth can I expect out of the machine? When using the LST in discriminate mode, the best one can hope for is about 5 inches on a coin. I understand that the LST is not the ideal coinshooting detector, but in a pinch does work. She has trouble swinging my Etrac for more than 20 minutes because of the weight, so I figure that a Tesoro would be the best bet for her. I understand that the Vaquero is a good coin machine, and so is the Golden Umax with it's multi tones. Can someone please provide me with some insight on the coin hunting abilities. Target ID, and multi tones aren't a must have, but I would like to weigh the options. Thanks for the help!

KEverett

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
KEverett said:
I have been looking to get another detector for my GF. She has used the X-terra 70 and the Tesoro LST in the past. My question to you Tesoro Pro's is which detector will work best for coin hunting on the west coast (moderate to bad soil). What kind of depth can I expect out of the machine? When using the LST in discriminate mode, the best one can hope for is about 5 inches on a coin. I understand that the LST is not the ideal coinshooting detector, but in a pinch does work. She has trouble swinging my Etrac for more than 20 minutes because of the weight, so I figure that a Tesoro would be the best bet for her. I understand that the Vaquero is a good coin machine, and so is the Golden Umax with it's multi tones. Can someone please provide me with some insight on the coin hunting abilities. Target ID, and multi tones aren't a must have, but I would like to weigh the options. Thanks for the help!

KEverett

Given the information you gave in your post you need depth, Ground balance, and really good discrimination. The best would be the Tejon, secondly the Vaquaro, but definitely not the Golden (No ground balance.) Joe

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
KEverett,

The Cortes is a fine machine and I have used it extensively. The Tejon however has the ability to go much deeper. This depends on whether or not you can use higher sensitivity in the mineralized ground. The Cortes does a much better job of IDing the target with the digital readout,notch, and tone ID, but it does not have the depth potential of the Tejon. Because I live in CT and we have a lot of old coins so I tend to think in terms of depth. The Cortes is Tesoro's premiere coin shooter for coins 6"-8", but the Tejon rules for the deep coins. Joe

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know the tejon is good in all but honestly the type of ground out west the tejon might not ground bal very well or might not get full potential out of it, i think you would be better off with the vaquero, my reasons being 1 lighter and much stabler machine for your conditions being 2 (1) 9volt battery 3 14khz vs 17khz better for coin hunting and still stand a chance at possible gold prospecting and you still share all the coil options of the tejon!

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
vaquero44 said:
i know the tejon is good in all but honestly the type of ground out west the tejon might not ground bal very well or might not get full potential out of it, i think you would be better off with the vaquero, my reasons being 1 lighter and much stabler machine for your conditions being 2 (1) 9volt battery 3 14khz vs 17khz better for coin hunting and still stand a chance at possible gold prospecting and you still share all the coil options of the tejon!

vaquero44,

Nothing wrong with your reasoning about the Vaquero. No one knows better than you, about all the variables that goes into picking the right machine. The Vaquero is a pro detector for a reasonable price. It also has the fastest response time of all the Tesoro detectors. Joe

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey JOEUSA i just hope you don't think i was being smug when i suggested this detector most of them have been my experiences other than actually detecting out west i've read alot of posts that people that have owned the tejon in the western part of the united states that they could'nt ground balance it very well do to black sand cond or ect and saltwater and i will say i've put in alot of time with tesoro products extensively for the last 4 years but i don't claim to be a expert in anyway and i'm not a know it all, I just go by my experiences only and if i had a few more bucks behind me I would become a dealer for them to

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
vaquero44 said:
hey JOEUSA i just hope you don't think i was being smug when i suggested this detector most of them have been my experiences other than actually detecting out west i've read alot of posts that people that have owned the tejon in the western part of the united states that they could'nt ground balance it very well do to black sand cond or ect and saltwater and i will say i've put in alot of time with tesoro products extensively for the last 4 years but i don't claim to be a expert in anyway and i'm not a know it all, I just go by my experiences only and if i had a few more bucks behind me I would become a dealer for them to

vaquero44,

No , I don't think you were being smug at all. I learned early on that each person has his or her own wants and needs from their detector. I have a lot of knowledge about detectors but I only know what people tell me about their personal preferences and their local conditions. Talk it up with different people and in the end make your own decision as to what piece of gear will be right for you. Joe

OP
OP
keverett

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Ok guys, what kind of depth can I hope for when using the Vaquero in discriminate mode considering the hotter soil in these parts? I tried to watch some video's on the net with people doing tests and so forth, but the only thing I found was 1 video and it was in spanish...... :dontknow: Also I have a question about the coil selection for the V. It seems that the stock coil and the 5.75" are both concentric coils is that correct? Do they make DD coils for the V, and if so how do they work in comparison in trashy sites. I have found that the Concentric coils are hard to use in trashy areas. Any input would be much appreciated.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i've had the 12 x 10 dd coil and it worked pretty good but felt clumsy and was deep would air test a qaurter about 16" fully cranked thats the only one i can truthfully give you any info on and have had the 5.75" coil to and awesome at finding coins, in your type ground just a guesstimate here figuire a 4 or 5" inches anyway and you might have to keep checking ground balance as well because the mineralzation can change that fast, if you find that there are a lot of ghost signals and or falsing quite a bit try in and see if your still balanced and if thats not the case then back off the sens til it stops chattering or falsing, the best i can do for you other than this your lobo is set up for the worst conditions possible

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never did answer your question on depth probably bad ground expect no more than 6 to 8" and this just another guestimate its hard to say it really depends on the ground mineralization

Monkeywrangler2

Feb 12, 2010
What about the Cibola WITH the GB mod? Nice & deep, hot on coins & silver, and with the mod, you get the manual ground balance...

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simple answer .......the Tesoro Eldorado .......Arizona soil sucks , flat out it sucks no nice way to put it an this machine purrs like a kitten in it an has no problem finding coins or jewelry :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• frontpaneleldorado.gif
    frontpaneleldorado.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,362
  • frontpaneleldorado.gif
    frontpaneleldorado.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,086

josephwor

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Tesoro Lobo Super Track (LST) and I sold my 2 month old Vaquero last week. The LST actually works great in disc mode with the 9x8 coil that goes on the vaquero. I have extremely bad ground at my farm. It goes deeper than my Vaquero or my Fisher 1266x

The service manager @ Tesoro recommended that I get the 8" brown doughnut coil and send the LST to Tesoro to be calibrated for that coil. In my bad ground I was doing 7" on a quarter. With the stock eliptical, I was only doing about 4".

I just bought a Cortes. It should be here today. I wanted a godent Umax, but the Cortes is supposed to go deeper.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Tank69 said:
simple answer .......the Tesoro Eldorado .......Arizona soil sucks , flat out it sucks no nice way to put it an this machine purrs like a kitten in it an has no problem finding coins or jewelry :icon_thumleft:

Looking at the front panel there, how is that different to a Vaquero? Looks exactly the same.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
KEverett I have used almost all the Tesoro machines and many other brands and models as well. Your 5 inches on coins is about average for all TR (modern VLF) machines. Most detectors do well to consistently do 4 inches on dimes. Depths are greatly exaggerated.

Mineralization affects all VLF detectors the same way. Some have circuitry to mask or hide the facts from the user. The user thinks he's going deep in soil with lots of metallic content but in reality he's not. I discovered this when testing my Minelab Explorers and comparing them to my Tesoro machines. The very expensive machines automatically filter out noises and cause one to assume the machine is not affected by the mineralization. The multi-frequency thing is also highly suspect but that one must be argued by the electronics experts. Personally I haven't seen where it has made much of a difference in our soils. I love Minelabs and Tesoros so I have no axe to grind but as far as basic depth goes I see little difference when using equal sized and types of coils.

Now to your question (sort of), the deepest Tesoro is the Tejon. This is achieved by running the detector a bit unstable, listening to the slightest mellow signal, and doing a slow hunt. The only reason any modern top level VLF detector is deeper is because of the ability to manually or automatically set the machine to the point of being unstable (ultra sensitive). If it had the proper knobs, a Silver uMax would always be as deep as a Tejon. But since it has "fixed settings" sometimes it will not be as deep but more stable (less falsing, etc.).

VLF technology reached it's maximum potential back in the 90's. Since then we have ID meter gimmicks and hyper-sensitivity adjustments to maybe squeak out another 1/2 to 1 inch of depth (with a heck of a lot of falsing).

Last edited:

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEverett I have used almost all the Tesoro machines and many other brands and models as well. Your 5 inches on coins is about average for all TR (modern VLF) machines. Most detectors do well to consistently do 4 inches on dimes. Depths are greatly exaggerated.

Mineralization affects all VLF detectors the same way. Some have circuitry to mask or hide the facts from the user. The user thinks he's going deep in soil with lots of metallic content but in reality he's not. I discovered this when testing my Minelab Explorers and comparing them to my Tesoro machines. The very expensive machines automatically filter out noises and cause one to assume the machine is not affected by the mineralization. The multi-frequency thing is also highly suspect but that one must be argued by the electronics experts. Personally I haven't seen where it has made much of a difference in our soils. I love Minelabs and Tesoros so I have no axe to grind but as far as basic depth goes I see little difference when using equal sized and types of coils.

Now to your question (sort of), the deepest Tesoro is the Tejon. This is achieved by running the detector a bit unstable, listening to the slightest mellow signal, and doing a slow hunt. The only reason any modern top level VLF detector is deeper is because of the ability to manually or automatically set the machine to the point of being unstable (ultra sensitive). If it had the proper knobs, a Silver uMax would always be as deep as a Tejon. But since it has "fixed settings" sometimes it will not be as deep but more stable (less falsing, etc.).

VLF technology reached it's maximum potential back in the 90's. Since then we have ID meter gimmicks and hyper-sensitivity adjustments to maybe squeak out another 1/2 to 1 inch of depth (with a heck of a lot of falsing).

The silver µMax will not ever get the depth as the Tejon. NEVER! I am not going to have anybody believe that statement. If you disagree, please call me at the Tesoro Office and we can discuss that. 928-771-2646.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I contacted Tesoro and asked them which coil did they recommend for my Vaquero to make it a really good gold detector. They told me to get the 10 inch Wide Scan Ellipital Coil. They make all kinds of coils for the "V".

You're better off saving up for a gold detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread