BBQed (smoked w/applewood) Boneless Country style Beef Ribs

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Made a little Q yesterday :thumbsup:

'Tis the season! I stopped at Wally mart and found these boneless beef ribs on sale. I didn't even stop to consider my diet. (BTW I've lost 52 lbs. in the last yr.) Since my diet is generally going pretty well; I indulge myself every once in a while... and this happens to be one of those whiles.

I believe the pkg. was a little over 4 lbs. (where did it all go?... and I'm out of beer too!) probably had something to do with that Beer and BBQ Breakfast I had this morning. :icon_scratch: Oh well.

I use Durkee's St. Louis Style Smokey Mesquite to rub down the beef the night before, and leave it covered w/ plastic wrap in the fridge.

2008_0601Image0011.jpg

The next day I take it out an hour before I'm ready to start smoking, It has to be close to room temperature when it goes in the smoker... smoke will condensate on cold meat in the smoker and create creosote particles which will taste bitter (not good at all) on the tongue.

1/2 hour after I take the the meat out of the fridge I fire up the smoker, setting the thermostat to 215* ( mine is a homebuilt electric ) , and when the temperature gets up to about 200* the plan starts to come together.

At this time the meat has warmed up enough and the smoker is ready, After setting up my remote temperature probe in one of the pieces, I introduce the meat to the smoker, maintaining a respectable distance around each piece on the rack so that the smoke can completely engulf them and permeate each piece. Also, at this time, I add 3 or 4 marshmallow sized pieces of apple wood to the smoker tray.

I set my remote temp to beep @ 140* (Rare), 145* (medium Rare), 160* (medium) or 170* (Doornail Dead).

The hard part is waiting, all the while smelling the delicious smoke wafting through the yard.

Waiting for this: :icon_sunny:

BeefQ-2.jpg

The glazing/dipping sauce you see on the ribs is my own secret concoction. It's so secret that even I don't know the recipe. I didn't measure anything that went in it. I just went by taste and it tastes great! But here's a rough approximation:
1/2 c. catsup (Heine's)
1/4 c. honey (I used wildflower)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce (L&P)
1 Tbs. Soy Sauce (Kikkoman's is good)
1 1/2 tsp. Tiger sauce (essential ingredient)
1/4 tsp. Browning sauce (Gravy Master, Kitchen Bouquet etc.)
If you don't have a smoker and you're going to try to fake it on the grill you might want to add a few drops of
liquid smoke (I hope no one saw that.)

When the meat comes out of the smoker, I put the glaze sauce on then put it in the oven for 10 min. or so at 375* to 400* just so that it gets thick and sticky enough to get all over your hands and around your mouth making one hell of a mess. Enjoy. Bluezman

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw that!..............liquid smoke :wink:

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Awesome looking Dinosaur Bones......thats what we call them.

Not familiar with the Tiger sauce though. Could you tell me what that is?

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
bbqbull said:
Awesome looking Dinosaur Bones......thats what we call them.

Not familiar with the Tiger sauce though. Could you tell me what that is?

Tiger Sauce is hot sauce; sweet and spicy.

INGEDIENTS:
vinegar
sugar
aged red peppers
worcestershire sauce
salt
water
veg. gum
sodium benzoate bla bla bla.

Super great tasting, super addictive. I buy 4 or 5 bottles at a time.

Bomber...shhh. Bluezman

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well we have to let the guys who haven't made the move to true "smoking" have a chance but ITS JUST NOT THE SAME! anyway kudos to you my friend,you sound like a true pitmaster.do ya prefer "lump" or charcoal for your smoker?i'm more of a charcoal guy myself.i'm planning on doing a pig(120lber) at the end of july(no jokes please..ok one or two)...roadtrip!

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
bomber said:
well we have to let the guys who haven't made the move to true "smoking" have a chance but ITS JUST NOT THE SAME! anyway kudos to you my friend,you sound like a true pitmaster.do ya prefer "lump" or charcoal for your smoker?i'm more of a charcoal guy myself.i'm planning on doing a pig(120lber) at the end of july(no jokes please..ok one or two)...roadtrip!

Actually this "Q" was made on a lowly homebuilt electric...

2007_0223Image0018.JPG

2007_0223Image0018.JPG

but I am in the process of building a stickburner.

120 Lbs. is a lot of pig candy. Maybe I'll do a pig (a little smaller than 120 lbs. though) when I finish the new smoker.

Bluezman
PS Now I'm all worked up again and thinking about going shopping for a shoulder!

Attachments

• 2008_0601Image0020.jpg
    2008_0601Image0020.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 812

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shes awefull purty,i'm sure you two had alot of good times together.planning on digging a hole in the ground this weekend,fill it with charcoal,wrap a butt or shoulder in bananna leaves drop it in,cover it up drink a few frostys and then chow down w/neighbors(bananna leaves thing is prep for the pig,gotta do some trail runs before pigzilla hits town) :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bomber, good luck with that... ahem...120 lb. pig! ::)

I'm doing a shoulder too, I picked one up last night at wally world. Mine's in the fridge now soaking up all the good stuff. It'll go on in the AM. Thanks for eyeballing my Q and for the kind words.

And thank you too, WindHarvester, with all the encouragement; I'm libel to pack 10 lbs. back on. Easy go, easy come. Or verse vicea. :icon_scratch: Bluezman

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey my BBQ brother,does the temp vary much on your smoker or is it constant

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
bomber said:
hey my BBQ brother,does the temp vary much on your smoker or is it constant

The temp is fairly steady. I have a large deep cake pan that I fill two thirds full of water between the heat source and rack. It evens out the temps pretty good. If I put in something large that the electric element wouldn't be able to keep up with I just swap it out for the gas burner. Bluezman

OP
OP
Bluezman

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bomber, I had to use gas for the shoulder. 8 1/2 hours; the first 3 1/2 with hickory and apple wood. I took the internal temp. to 187*. It almost pulled itself. And it came close to a fight over the bark!

I have to cool it for a while. I think I gained a couple of pounds! But, there's still enough for one more sammie in the fridge. Midnight ;D .

How did you make out with yours? Bluezman

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was awesome,dug a 2 foot pit,got the charcoal in,then the leaves,wrapped the shoulder in more leaves,and more charcoal on top,then filled it in with sand.i let it cook for 6 hours.CAREFULLY took it out and then the neighbors flocked over.fresh salsa and tortilla............rockin' :thumbsup:

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
I have 2 sticke burners made and delevered bye Klose Pits of Houston Tx.
He is a very good friend of mine, 2 electric Cookshack smokers, a gasser grill and a charcoal grill.
Ive used lump but big K is my go to briquetts.
I belong to another forum called bbqbrethren forum.
By the way im not a master of anything!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Bluezman, now that sure looks like the right way to make up a plate or two
of ribs. Couldn't help noticing the bottle of 'old 33' sitting there. It was originally
brewed a fairly short drive from her. Too bad they were bought out, cause I
surely would have delivered you a few cases of fresh stuff for a plateful of them
ribs you makeup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread