Battle of Ramsours Mill, Lincolnton, NC

Robdar

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Battle of Ramsour's Mill, Lincolnton, NC

Hi all, I live pretty close to Lincolnton so i've been researching the old Ramsour's Mill battle site for a while now, i've also visited the spot a couple times without a detector but i'm stuck! I've read that the Tories camped directly across a creek from the mill, but even though i've seen an old map of the battle (mill wasn't included) and a modern map with old stuff marked (most of it is unreadable) i can't find the mill site :dontknow:. I've seen some people on this forum who've found stuff there so if anyone has a map or just knows where I can find the old mill site help would be much appreciated! Thanks and HH! ;D

Upvote 0

trapperslabs

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2009
Orange County NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilous dmc2
Re: Battle of Ramsour's Mill, Lincolnton, NC

If the mill was on a creek or river look for the mill race where the water was turned to run out of the main bed down to turn the grinding wheel then back into the main bed of river or creek...you may see signs of a damn to hold water to run into the mill race...good luck hope this helps...trapper

rwoods61

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2010
Re: Battle of Ramsour's Mill, Lincolnton, NC

Robdar,

I live about 1/4 mile from the battleground. I actually searched the playground at Battleground Elem. last weekend. Just looking for top stuff. I really would not expect to find anything where I searched because of all the construction when they built the schools. The playground of the Elem School used to be over one of the mass graves. They moved it about 3 years ago. I would really like to have searched before they moved the fence. I'm not sure how much "landscaping" they did when they built the schools (there are 3 on the battleground) but I would like to search behind the high school between it and the elem school. I think minimum dirt moving was done there.

If you drive around Jeb Seagle Rd. (the road that goes by the football stadium) there is a place where trucks drive down into the big field north of the stadium. I think it is where they stage for the July 4th fireworks. You should be able to "investigate" back there.

The creek that runs behind the visitors stands at the stadium should be Clarke's Creek.

I would really like to see a overlay of a modern map and the battleground map. There is a small one at the rebuilt log cabin but I mean a large one that shows the whole area. You just don't put 1300 men on a small space.

Let me know if you want to some up and look around?

rwoods61

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread