Anyone Want To Refine My Ore?

OP
OP
SnowdogAk20

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care. Offer revoked. But I will posting pics. They are good! Here's a new offer. I'll be needing to get a smelt done after the weekend and need someone qualified. No shipping cost. Message me and tell me qualifications. I'll have iron out, sulfur, everything but the metals fyi. Working on a few kilos. After crushing on weekend it'll go fast.
Actually tonight, I may have a few ozt. Or at least by tomorrow. And if person performs well. I will load you up after.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Actually tonight, I may have a few ozt. Or at least by tomorrow. And if person performs well. I will load you up after.
Before I commit I would like to see pictures of the material you propose to send for smelting.

Documentation on my part will be Videograpghed from the moment the package is opened, flux mixed then into the crucible with the final pour into a cone mold.

Then the copulation video as well, with the final results on the scale.

OP
OP
SnowdogAk20

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I commit I would like to see pictures of the material you propose to send for smelting.

Documentation on my part will be Videograpghed from the moment the package is opened, flux mixed then into the crucible with the final pour into a cone mold.

Alloy,

Pics are on this thread. Message me privately so I can know about you please. Thanks. Where you are, experience, etc...

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Keep us posted on how this works out if you both agree to work together.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Since the seller is unable or unwilling to provide an assay I did a bit of research and discovered the Alaska silver deposits contain lead and zinc.

I would never attempt to smelt an ore with that much zinc content, what our friend needs to do in my opinion is set up a flotation operation.

Better idea yet, he could send his conentrates into one of the mines setting up shop in the area.

Western Alaska eyes silver rich CRD belt

Screenshot from 2022-04-01 15-27-47.png

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the seller is unable or unwilling to provide an assay I did a bit of research and discovered the Alaska silver deposits contain lead and zinc.

I would never attempt to smelt an ore with that much zinc content, what our friend needs to do in my opinion is set up a flotation operation.

Better idea yet, he could send his conentrates into one of the mines setting up shop in the area.

Western Alaska eyes silver rich CRD belt

View attachment 2018734
Whats the reason behind not smelting cons high in zinc ? seems to me it would smelt off, maybe I'm wrong, I think the flux takes care of stuff like that. How would floatation separate impurities combined in the gold ,silver , copper?
I'm a little confused...
Gt....

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Via PM: He says that he's able to reduce the ore into metal, if that be the case then you decide if your going to receive the real deal or pit run.

View attachment 2018732
SnowdogAk20 I'll be taking some drill core samples from this outcrop during the summer months, then have them professionally assayed.

Here's an XRF assay, material from the wash plant.

pit.png

Screenshot-from-2021-07-23-17-13-34.png

pit1.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PM Deleted, Alloy_II, it violates our rules to post PMs without the approval of both parties.

From or rules and terms page.

"You may not... Post PM's (TreasureNet personal messages), email messages, or any other form of correspondence from other people that were intended or assumed to be solely for you."

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One may want to try a simple steel pipe and rod of any kind to crush up small rock samples. Then pan out to get an idea what is there. One can also use any small hammer and sit down on a slab of concreate or asphalt to hammer down some small rock samples etc. Be sure to use eye protection and maybe hearing protection or any other types of protection as needed when doing this.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
SnowdogAk20 I'll be taking some drill core samples from this outcrop during the summer months, then have them professionally assayed.

Here's an XRF assay, material from the wash plant.

View attachment 2018994

View attachment 2018997

View attachment 2018999
From a picture of the outcrop from what a geologist had to say it would be prudent to take drill core samples to send in for an assay.

One must take into account that outcrop was there long before the placer gravel moved in to share real estate. And it;s the placer which shows the platinum so the source of that has yet to be discovered.

The host rock appears to be a silica and feldspar rich variety of Rhyolite.

The gray sections are most likely lead and zinc rich with some percentage of Silver, and possibly Gold.

The yellowish to greenish hues in the Rhyolite are indicators of the presence of lead and zinc.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From a picture of the outcrop from what a geologist had to say it would be prudent to take drill core samples to send in for an assay.

One must take into account that outcrop was there long before the placer gravel moved in to share real estate. And it;s the placer which shows the platinum so the source of that has yet to be discovered.

The host rock appears to be a silica and feldspar rich variety of Rhyolite.

The gray sections are most likely lead and zinc rich with some percentage of Silver, and possibly Gold.

The yellowish to greenish hues in the Rhyolite are indicators of the presence of lead and zinc.
One downside of a single core drill sample is that it can be hard to figure out the rock flows unless a lot of drill samples are made and this could be the reason why the platinum has not been discovered. For example what if there is very few flows of the rock that has the platinum in it. This is like a needle in the hay stack type of problem.

One however can use there aided eyes to spot already know mineral crystal formations for many samples. This can help one to figure out the rock flows and even plot this out on paper as for quality and depth, etc. This could help one to find the right rock flow perhaps faster then other processes.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The next step to try is use something like the Falcon metal detector and learn how to see even deeper into any rock sample. Then if the values are there maybe a gold type of metal detector if you can.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are different methods of sorting depending on a number of factors like the types of rocks and how one choses to handle the rocks etc.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are a hard rocker it all just goes in the hopper to be milled minus the culling of any wall rock that might get by one eyes at the dig site...
Gt......
Correct as one can only look at so much rock in a given day. Running a metal detector can help sort more rock in a given day that is worth the time running through your equipment.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting on the right material is what I'm focusing on here. A vein of the right minerals can usually be seen with one's eyes and just break it up to run through what equipment you can get there or have if you move the rock off of the site.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting on the right material is what I'm focusing on here. A vein of the right minerals can usually be seen with one's eyes and just break it up to run through what equipment you can get there or have if you move the rock off of the site.
Your lack of actuall mining experience is telling on you. If your digging you either dig vein or wall / country rock, as one digs vein materials one usually bags it as it comes off the wall, waste go out the hole into trash pile. There is no need to bleep anything, even if your going to mill on site your method of mining ore is still the same as you would if you were hauling ore to off-site mill.

One doesn't just go at digging haphazard or you end up with a trash pile filled with ore kinda like the pile the tnett member South fork is Workin...
Gt....

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your lack of actuall mining experience is telling on you. If your digging you either dig vein or wall / country rock, as one digs vein materials one usually bags it as it comes off the wall, waste go out the hole into trash pile. There is no need to bleep anything, even if your going to mill on site your method of mining ore is still the same as you would if you were hauling ore to off-site mill.

One doesn't just go at digging haphazard or you end up with a trash pile filled with ore kinda like the pile the tnett member South fork is Workin...
Gt....
Agree.
The bleep is just for grading some of the rock that is next to the vein or possible pockets etc. depending on the type of deposit.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With 3 - 4 detectors ready to go with different abilities / coils you can find what some will pass over to the tailing pile and find pockets when there is pockets to be found.
For example I have a vein that was around 28" - 32" wide that was fairly low grade. Even I did not want to crush that rock type as it looked poor yet you could see a speck here and there all the way through it.. The rock I did break loose was then placed on wood so that a detector could be used away from the mineral back ground to find small pockets on a regular time frame almost like clock work speeding up the process by not processing all of the 32" wide vein. Focusing on the zone or mineral flare edge where one could find small pockets that I could not see as a general rule yet the detectors could within the limits of the coils used. This is very handy when you can't get the equipment to the rock itself. Packing out the rock is not the answer in that type of case as you would waste a lot of fuel to move the excess rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread