Anyone have a good custom program for the 900 in trashy parks?

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Use a single low frequency preferably, or multi,
Give everything under the TID of a dime a mid tone, above a high tone.
Try using a slower recovery speed, slow good coil control.
Higher sensitivity.
Make sure your ground balance is right on.
Noise cancel so it runs quiet.
Turn up audio boost a little so you can hear the deep ones.
Someone else's deep program may not work for you, because everyone has different ground conditions.
For the really deep silver, I use one of my analog detectors, as it goes way deeper than any of my digitals, with the only one coming close being the Manticore.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What analog detector do you own with deeper detection than a 900?

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Well, I don't own a 900, so I can't really comment on that one, but I did have a Nox 800, and a Manticore.
Deeptech Vista X, and that's been my experience just using the smaller coils. I have yet to use the largest one. Seeing is believing. I really wouldn't care for digging any deeper, unless it was at the beach with a sand scoop. Unfortunately the detector isn't made for that kind of environment.
Each detector has its own place, that's why a lot of people own several different ones. Great in dense iron with great separation, especially with the 8" Concentric.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I held out the palm of my hand and I offered you a selection of ferrous and non-ferrous objects you would look at those items and decide which ones you wanted. Any detector, regardless its settings, still has to do the same thing. Point is, there are no magic settings, and just because you may not hear all of the tones and chatter from that assortment of items in my hand your detector is still having to process each and every one of them.

Per example, when you notch something out your detector still has to analyze and process that item, only difference now is that you just don't hear it in your headphones because you have told your machine that you don't want to hear that portion of the process. And this same thing is true of every setting or preset applied. So the reality is simply this, each time we increase any “filter” in an effort to reduce “feedback” we are reducing performance, we're not increasing performance.

This is true with recovery speeds, notch, and any other user controlled, “filter.”

So in answering you question in regards to trashy parks and deep silver, “the best settings are the ones that allow you to hunt in a stable, comfortable, condition” and this level of performance is going to vary widely depending on the personal experience of each individual.

Trashy parks? In my local park the ground is nearly saturated with pieces of foil and pull tabs, but if I notch these items out and apply a super fast recovery speed I have nearly zero chance of finding any gold jewelry because just about all gold jewelry is going to return in the foil and pull-tab range. And when I apply a faster recovery speed I'm only going to hear feedback from just the strongest returns that happen to be under my coil at any one time, and in a trashy park that can be many items at any one time. All the while my machine is still having to labor just as hard as it always does, I'm just not hearing “all of that laboring” because I have chosen not to hear it.

“Because I have chosen not to hear it.” Trashy parks & deep silver. How much feedback do you desire to tolerate? Because really trashy parks are the toughest hunting conditions one can encounter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread