Anyone ever MDed Bergen Swamp in Genesee County?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Welcome to Treasure Net...

I've been by there too... but it's been a long long time. I would be suprised if they let you dig there... but who knows?

It's owned by the Bergen Swamp Preservation Society... privetly owned, I imagine you could contact them for permission and see how it goes.

Bergen Swamp Preservation Society, P.O. Box 460, Bergen, NY 14416-0460, (585) 548-7304,

http://www.bergenswamp.org/trustees.htm

My suggestion is to consider joining the society (Annual $15.00 as an individual), and then make the request. It's mostly used for schools and universities to study plants and plant life there and you have to ask permission just to leave the trails! Everything you might need to know about the area is listed in that link I posted above.

Let us know if it works out!

OP
OP

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the info Jim. I'm a long time lurker - Tnet is one of my daily visited websites. I finally bought a metal detector this year ($20 NIB BH Tracker 4 at a lawn sale). It's actually not a bad machine once you learn it... and it's already paid for in clad :laughing7:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Good on ya! I have used bounty hunters since the 70s and have NEVER been disappointed.

There are many times I wish I was back in NY for the detecting possibilities, but the politics there SUCK!

Again - welcome to T-Net...looking forward to your finds. There are some old homes in Bergen... good luck!

OP
OP

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009
The Sanborn maps are great for Holley showing the old Erie Canal loop and where the old buildings were. My grandmother's house is one of the oldest in the village. I tried MDing there last weekend... too many tree roots.

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Good on ya! I have used bounty hunters since the 70s and have NEVER been disappointed.

There are many times I wish I was back in NY for the detecting possibilities, but the politics there SUCK!

Again - welcome to T-Net...looking forward to your finds. There are some old homes in Bergen... good luck!

Excellent point there Jim....the politics suck and so do the &^%$& taxes especially since most of them go to the big city that should be its own district.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I agree..They need to cut New york city off from the rest of NY.Im sick of my money going to that dam city.The senate is to lazy to work ,yet they wanna get paid still.Unreal whats going on here right now.

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
NiagracountyNY said:
I agree..They need to cut New york city off from the rest of NY.Im sick of my money going to that dam city.The senate is to lazy to work ,yet they wanna get paid still.Unreal whats going on here right now.

You got that right...

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
I spent many hours in that swamp as a kid back when anyone could go in there. First thing to keep in mind is the rattle snakes they are in there know of a guy that did die from a bite. The Bergen swamp is about a mile wide and 3 miles long people used to get lost for days, at one time there was even a rescue group with hounds that would go in to find people. Joining the swamp society won't do you any good is it more for fund raising. Just to get in there to hunt deer you need to own land that borders the swamp and have to take a class about not stepping on weeds in there. Other then that you need a group of at least 6 people a guide and writen permission from the Society, good luck there.

With that said if you go to the end of evans rd it's called Torpe's hill there is a small parking area turn around. A long time party/makeout spot. I have done some detecting there lots of trash bring the smallest coil you have and have fun diggen in many years of packed gravel. If you were to head south from there toward the school you can see from the hill there is a old cabin fallen apart deep in the swamp never tried there very hard to find. If you go North West from Torpe's hill there used to be a road/hores trail that went to a road that ran South from Warboys rd. Don't remember the name of that road it is privately owned now but still on maps. Anyhow there used to be a few houses down on the end of that road. I never tried that area being thats where the Rattlers are found the most be very carefull around the bridge down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread