Antique Silver Candleholder...?

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hello all.

Found the following item recently and am having trouble ID'ing. I don't usually pick up scrap silver/gold items, just dabble in coins. Nonetheless, I found the following item at a thrift shop recently and picked it up for $2. Did I pick up something of value, or a piece of garbage? ???

My question is whether or not it is silver? The bottom has been stamped with FS (fine silver??). It weighs in at 4.7oz. See the attached pictures and let me know if you have any insights.

Thanks in advance!

5504205470_df2f5f2d6d.jpg

5504205446_9ef010a30b.jpg

5504205458_65ed2e49fd.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

I don't think the FS stands for fine Silver, the S is a typical 1853 hallmark judging by the style of the sheild and that letter type. (see picture below) The F might be a Makers Mark :dontknow: Can you see any outher marks :help:

SS

Attachments

• tavola414.jpg
    tavola414.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Silver Searcher said:
Can you see any outher marks

I studied the item again this morning and was not able to find any other markings. :dontknow:

Is there anything else I should be looking for or additional pictures that might help?

Thanks in advance for any additional insights that you can provide.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greedygecko said:
Silver Searcher said:
Can you see any outher marks

I studied the item again this morning and was not able to find any other markings. :dontknow:

Is there anything else I should be looking for or additional pictures that might help?

Thanks in advance for any additional insights that you can provide.
With out any outher markings the ID might be difficult :dontknow: it could be a privatly made piece, keep looking, sometimes the Hallmark can be hard to find :-\

SS

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mustard jar holder. Silver plate. Had normally a cobalt or blue glass insert.
\Had and sold a number of complete ones over the years. Do not have one currently, but you should be able to find on ebay.
Last one I sold complete for around $65.00.
DG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread