Another "not real" coin...1792

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another "not real" coin...1792

Found alot of questions about this coin drudging my way through google. Made to look like a Spanish 8 escudo(?) coin but should be gold if it was real... seems these have been found in the ground all over the place, even the "R" stamped on the right side near the face. I think I remember one in England. Someone made mention of it being "current fake pirate treasure", but I've had mine over 30 years. The most solid thing I found said it was fake, as opposed to counterfeit, because of the spelling of "utro", should be "utroq".

Coin is very light... I dunno, just thought I'd throw it out here.....

Attachments

• fake1.JPG
    fake1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 3,492
  • fake.JPG
    fake.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,328

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another "not real" coin...1792

As you guessed, doesn't look good enough to be counterfiet. ie. Looked good enough to be used at the time of the real thing.

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Found this online:

Question:

Dear Coin Dr.,
My daughter found an old coin dated 1792. On the front it says CAROL III D. G. HIS P. ET IND. R with a picture of a man facing right. On the tails side it has a picture of a crest with a crown on top and says IN UTRO FELIX AUSPICE DEO. On the left of the crest there is an 8 and on the right an S. Can you please give me a ball park figure of it's value. Thanks for your time!

The reign of the Spanish King Charles III was from 1759 to 1788. 8 Escudos dated 1792 would be under Charles IIII (IV). Though this coin was not struck in Spain, in 1792, it was struck extensively at mints in Spanish America. The mint mark and assayer are at 5:00 and 7:00 on the reverse and are letters or monograms (on either side of the golden fleece). The obverse shows the legend, CAROL III D. G. HISP. ET IND. R (Charles III, by the Grace of G-d King of Spain and the Indies), around the bust of Charles IV facing right. There are varieties of the portrait depending on the mint.

The reverse shows the Crowned shield of the King of Spain surrounded by a chain suspending the golden fleece. The Latin legend around is, IN UTRO FELIX AUSPICE DEO (under the fortunate guidance of G-d). Genuine 8 escudos weigh about 27 grams (27.06 grams is about official weight) and were struck on .875 fine gold planchets. The coin is gold in color (brass and copper museum copies exist). Market value for genuine examples depends on the date, mint mark, assayer and grade (state of preservation). Approximate value range: $500 - $2,500. Coins can be authenticated at the American Numismatic Association, NGC, PCGS or ANACS. See their links on the CoinSite Links Page.

Upvote 0

sanford.

Aug 3, 2005

Check links to Buster Brown shoes. I'm fairly confident that these were a promotional token given away with one of their boys shoe lines in the late 60's , early 70's. Maybe " Buster Brown Dubloons" if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread