Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
What amazes me how intact the wreck is considering its a 19th century sailing vessel. IT looks like it in past capsized and sank. relatively intact. The timber looking in remarkable condition. I hope they can drag it ashore and preserve it. But Alas time money!!!!

If I was to guess what timber it was? I suspect teak? But hopefully we will find out one way or another.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am amazed the excellent condition considering the age. Here is some more pictures. It does no appear the hull was coopered?

W5.jpg

The hull looks so clean. maybe the cold water in which it lies inhibited marine growth?

W3.jpg

Is the hold a Toledo ship worm hole? in the the timber.

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

I am stunned at the copper pins they look brand new. With no green oxidization. They however help to pin point the approximate age of the vessel pre 1850's. Later ships used Muntz metal a copper alloy that does not bend. Muntz metal is an alpha-beta brass alloy composed of approximately 60% copper, 40% zinc and a trace of iron. It is named after George Fredrick Muntz.

This vessel with copper when drive in as nails or pins had tendency to bend. Muntz metal nails and pins was strong but bristle.

W4.jpg

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread