A few early military buttons Ive dug.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
A few early military buttons I've dug.

With digging being a bit slow I thought some of you might like to see a few of the better earlier buttons I've dug. All are one piece. In the first picture are coat size Navy button around 1810, 1810-12 Militia button and a Rev. war Pewter entwined USA
In the second picture are cuffs The first is listed in Albert's as unidentified, 1808 to 1830 pewter US, and 1811-13 1st Regt of Artillerists

Attachments

• 3 early coats.jpg
    3 early coats.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 858
  • 3 early cuffs.jpg
    3 early cuffs.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,142

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A few early military buttons I've dug.

Love em!

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice buttons!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some day I hope to see a USA show up here but would be a very rare find. I do know of one though! Pretty cool, was found with a bunch of Loyalist and British buttons.

OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Those USA's are hard to find anywhere. I dug the one in the pic in '71 or 72. They were building a college and we found a colonial period house site that was loaded. We had been in there most of the day and I dug the USA when we were leaving. We went back the next day and didn't even get out of the car when a security guard told us we couldn't dig. There was still a lot of stuff left at that site but it's under asphalt and concrete now. :'( I hope you get one IP

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:
Those USA's are hard to find anywhere. I dug the one in the pic in '71 or 72. They were building a college and we found a colonial period house site that was loaded. We had been in there most of the day and I dug the USA when we were leaving. We went back the next day and didn't even get out of the car when a security guard told us we couldn't dig. There was still a lot of stuff left at that site but it's under asphalt and concrete now. :'( I hope you get one IP

Sure not holding my breath. My buddy told me on the phone and i had to ask 2 or 3 times if I was hearing him correctly. Sure would love to know the history of an enemy button that made it all the way here.

OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

It would be cool to know the history on some of the stuff we dig. It's possible that someone took the button from a prisoner or corpse and kept it as a souvenir. I dug several confederate buttons( VA, GA,& LA one of each) in a small spot in a union camp and they had all been burned. Another fellow dug a hut site and got a bunch of different state seal buttons, one of each. I think in both of these cases the soldiers had be collecting the buttons for some reason and either lost them or threw them away.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:
It would be cool to know the history on some of the stuff we dig. It's possible that someone took the button from a prisoner or corpse and kept it as a souvenir. I dug several confederate buttons( VA, GA,& LA one of each) in a small spot in a union camp and they had all been burned. Another fellow dug a hut site and got a bunch of different state seal buttons, one of each. I think in both of these cases the soldiers had be collecting the buttons for some reason and either lost them or threw them away.

Just because there was only one button doesn't mean the entire coat didn't come back. We dig single military finds much more than doubles at our sites. I know one day we're going to find a entire coat worth of good buttons. Now that will be a great day!

OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

I understand, but the 3 burnt CS buttons I found were in one small spot in a big union camp and there were no CS troops camped there and the buttons that came from the pit were one of each and from states that didn't have units camped there. That's why we figured they were saved as souvenirs. It's the same with us digging single more that multiples of buttons. I have been fortunate to dig several whole coats of buttons. I guess the best was a coat of confederate script I's that were in a row and the faces were sticking out of the ground. I kicked the leaves back and there they were.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread