679 Cannonballs found

threedawgs

Greenie
Feb 1, 2007
Victoria BC Canada
Have to agree on the ball mills. When I was younger and lived in Northern Manitoba, we had an iron ore mine there. We used to pick those up off the tracks. We used to find 1000's at a time. If I knew they would be worth anything would have collected them. Now this is only my 2 cents worth and by no means being negative towards you

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geeze!. . . those are cool. Ever consider setting up a "grapeshot" stand at a farmer's market with all those?

watercolor

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
threedawgs said:
Have to agree on the ball mills. When I was younger and lived in Northern Manitoba, we had an iron ore mine there. We used to pick those up off the tracks. We used to find 1000's at a time. If I knew they would be worth anything would have collected them. Now this is only my 2 cents worth and by no means being negative towards you

What was the final determination on these things? Mill balls or cannon balls? My guess is, what does it matter? If they are the same size anybody or their brother can claim them as cannon balls and flood the market. I have heard that the only cannon balls really worth something are verifiable ones found at battlesites or those that have the engraving in them identifying them as such. Which in the long run really sux for you but if you could get an expert in the field to say that they are cannon balls...woohoo!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Still one of the most incredible finds I think... Any follow-up on this Abe?

Did you ever go back and get the rest?

Any news as to authenticity?

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
GREAT FIND ABE!
Go ahead and sell them as cannonballs. That's what your gut is telling you that they are, so you won't be knowingly misrepresenting anything. Just my $.02 and I want change
C.J.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well THAT was a fun treasure findin' story!

There's been stranger things than those old mill balls fired through cannons, I'm sure!
hh

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
maybe he ebay'd them all off as cannonballs and is a some carribean island he owns:)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I had a buddy with an old pintle gun on his jeep... a 35mm film cannister fit perfect with a nice patch.
barrel was about 18" fun old days. I should build one...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread