Wreck Off New Symrna Beach?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Has anyone ever heard of a wreck, possibly a Spanish Galleon close in off New Smyrna Beach. I heard over the weekend
that about one hundred sulfided coins were found years back. They were about the size of an 8 Reale but not cobs, they were round and seemed to have something that looked like a coat-of-arms on one side. New Smyrna goes for quite a ways and if there is something to this, a little metal detecting might go a long way.

Aquanut

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been in florida for over 30 yrs an have gone to new smyrna off an on for the past 28 yrs,i have never heard of anyone finding a large amount of silver reales,ive detected from one end of the beach to the other down near the cape an never found any reales,just alot of modern silver from 1910 to now.did they say what part of the beach where the coins were found?all i ever found out was someone found a gold pillar dollar near the ponce inlet,theres lots of wrecks from the cape up to ponce inlet,but no one has found one off shore,anchors have been found with a mag but never brought up,the hard pan around there is 50 foot down into the sand,so anything heavy will be down that deep,plus the water is always cloudy an then you have all the sharks to deal with, mainly bull sharks,so the combination of the 3 makes it not worthwhile to me or anyone else unless they have a 100 foot boat with 6 foot dianeter blowers an a death wish an just dont care.i did find a dead eye on the beach,i wont say where,from my research it came off a large 4 masted ship possibly from the 1600's to 1690 its not from a galleon,the type of dead eye i have is different then a galleon dead eye.it could have broke off a ship in a storm or maybe theres a wreck there.rebaults fleet sank at the cape in the 1500's but cant do anything about any of the ships. its on federal property,cant MD there,but you can sift the sand all you want.lol 25 miles of lots of sand:)after hurricane jeanne timbers were washing up from the ocean an some were being exposed in the dunes.i havent been back down there in awhile ive been too busy working on my boats an another treasure co's boat getting ready for the summer dive season if the water ever clears up off sebastian.

Attachments

• deadeye12x.jpg
    deadeye12x.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 725

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old article, same old story.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1989-12-14-8912142958-story.html

The crews located the wreck off New Smyrna Beach last month but waited for calmer weather to pull up an artifact to claim the wreck. The company already has filed its claim with a federal admiralty judge in Jacksonville and expects approval within days, a Seahawk spokesman said....

That ship could yield more treasure than Mel Fisher's famous Nuestra Senora de Atocha, which produced about $250 million, the company says.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old article, same old story.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1989-12-14-8912142958-story.html

The crews located the wreck off New Smyrna Beach last month but waited for calmer weather to pull up an artifact to claim the wreck. The company already has filed its claim with a federal admiralty judge in Jacksonville and expects approval within days, a Seahawk spokesman said....

That ship could yield more treasure than Mel Fisher's famous Nuestra Senora de Atocha, which produced about $250 million, the company says.
That was in 1989... nothing new came from it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions