Really! They have to be kidding.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m new to this stuff. Did anyone know this? Anything made or used by humans found on public land! Well, that blows the lid off of all the criminals who “Adopt a Highway” to pick up litter. It’s illegal. How about the people who pick up cans for the deposit? Thieves, I say. I guess I can still pick up my dog’s droppings at the park; she’s not human. Red tape lawmakers. They probably had a good idea at the start. By the time the jaw passed they have pure idiocy. IMO

Attachments

• 0A1E8DEB-3457-4EF4-B757-E7035E4ECA17.jpeg
    0A1E8DEB-3457-4EF4-B757-E7035E4ECA17.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 5BAA3DC1-42A1-440F-B0FD-2DE073CFBF10.jpeg
    5BAA3DC1-42A1-440F-B0FD-2DE073CFBF10.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m new to this stuff. Did anyone know this? Anything made or used by humans found on public land! Well, that blows the lid off of all the criminals who “Adopt a Highway” to pick up litter. It’s illegal. How about the people who pick up cans for the deposit? Thieves, I say. I guess I can still pick up my dog’s droppings at the park; she’s not human. Red tape lawmakers. They probably had a good idea at the start. By the time the jaw passed they have pure idiocy. IMO
“…time the LAW passed…” not jaw

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so close to Yosemite and all the waterways up there it hurts to not be able to detect them. They are full of people swimming in the summer and all the trails could have so many goodies. But if it was open you would have it so torn up by idiots, it is understandable why it is off limits.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I am so close to Yosemite and all the waterways up there it hurts to not be able to detect them. They are full of people swimming in the summer and all the trails could have so many goodies. But if it was open you would have it so torn up by idiots, it is understandable why it is off limits.
I think that’s the intention of the law. Unfortunately it includes ditches bordering county gravel roads.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Illegal in Kalifornia to pick up any coin over 100 years old, yeah right, not telling anyone what I found. What good are they doing anybody underground? I found an arrowhead lying right on top of the ground sitting by a tree when I stopped to rest up by Lassen a long time ago and had no idea it was illegal to pick them up, Where does everyone get them to sell on eBay and in stores?

Last edited:

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
Missouri is that way too . Cute pup. I was told i could technically metal detect in conservation areas but can't dig or disturb ground with shovel of any kind. But u can kill deer and pick mushrooms. ..Right.. don't see too many items of age just sitting on top of ground. I am with you on the stupid law's. We also pick up trash and remove harmful lead from ground.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been that way since 1906, illegal to dig artifacts on federal lands. Many states outlawed it on county, city, and state lands. Surface finds are allowed.

Hunt private land...

(Edited to add missing info)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Missouri is that way too . Cute pup. I was told i could technically metal detect in conservation areas but can't dig or disturb ground with shovel of any kind. But u can kill deer and pick mushrooms. ..Right.. don't see too many items of age just sitting on top of ground. I am with you on the stupid law's. We also pick up trash and remove harmful lead from ground.
Thanks for the pup kudos. She got “rescued” by us and is a great little buddy. Named Rosie but should be Nosy. 1/2 beagle dog, 100% beagle nose.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn to use a pinpointer, probe and long screwdriver to recover target, no shovel is used or needed. I have recovered many targets using this method, no digging, I have had park rangers watch me doing this then walk off and not say a word to me.

Last edited:

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
Learn to use a pinpointer, probe and long screwdriver to recover target, no shovel is used or needed. I have recovered many targets using this method, no digging, I have had park rangers watch me doing this then walk off and not say a word to me.
I was told no disturbing of soil of any kind. Told i could brush way leaves but that was all i could do. I guess i will try that . Worst thing is that I get a big ticket

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
Are you in Missouri? Forgot to ask. Thanks for the info. I do have a pin pointer. I'll try that thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you in Missouri? Forgot to ask. Thanks for the info. I do have a pin pointer. I'll try that thanks
Not any more, I lived in Columbia Mo for 20 years. I have used the screwdriver method in some city and county parks in Orlando, Fl, it works good and allows you to hunt where you other wise couldn't.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Antiquities Act doesn't protect historic pieces or artifacts. It's not about how old something is. The law was created to protect archaeological resources.

Just because somethings old doesn't make it an archaeological resource. It's only when historical artifacts are associated together in an archaeological context that they are protected. A single belt buckle or tin can not in natural association is not an archaeological resource. A lone buried cache in the desert is not an archaeological resource. Old bullets, bits of pipe and screen, boot tacks and all the other dross we find are not archaeological resources unless they are directly associated with an archaeological resource site.

There are also exceptions written into the Antiquities Act. Bullets and coins are not subject to the act, arrowheads found on the surface are fair game and development of mineral resources on a valid mining claim are exempt.

The Act does specify 100 years as the cutoff. Anything younger than 100 years old, even if it is an archaeological resource, is not subject to the Act. This is not the only federal law protecting antiquities but it is the only one on the federal public lands. Some agencies may try to bluff with handouts and nonsense about 50 years or whatever but they have nothing to back them up.

The fact of the matter is if you aren't digging native settlements or historic sites you are probably OK just about anywhere on federal public land. As a forest archaeologist once told me "You think I'm going to go into court and swear a nail or a piece of an old watch are antiquities of interest found in context AND that they are more than 100 years old ... ain't gonna happen." On the other hand this archaeologist had helped several people digging native villages discover the joys of the penitentiary lifestyle.
:D

States can, and do, pass any laws they want regarding antiquities on State lands. They could set 50 years or 5 or 500 years if they wanted and that would be the law for that State's lands. Those laws have no effect on Federal public lands.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my original post I forgot to add "dig" on fed lands, surface artifact finds are allowed to be kept when found on Fed land, but you better hope no one was digging near you if confronted by rangers, you may have to prove it is a surface find and having multiple points on you is a red flag for fed ranger.

According to 16 U.S. Code § 470ee Section D: “Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such perso shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.”

" According to 16 U.S. Code § 470ee Section G, “Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground”. Reference: Cornell Law School"

Last edited:

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
In my original post I forgot to add "dig" on fed lands, surface artifact finds are allowed to be kept when found on Fed land, but you better hope no one was digging near you if confronted by rangers, you may have to prove it is a surface find and having multiple points on you is a red flag for fed ranger.

According to 16 U.S. Code § 470ee Section D: “Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such perso shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.”

" According to 16 U.S. Code § 470ee Section G, “Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground”. Reference: Cornell Law School"

Thanks for the info. I'll wait to be 100% sure about this . Its a missouri conservation area ? Will check if thats federal or state land? Think its state.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'll wait to be 100% sure about this . Its a missouri conservation area ? Will check if thats federal or state land? Think its state.
Just so you are aware, artifacts found on state land belong to the state according to Missouri law.

"You need permission to go there unless it happens to be a conservation area or other public land. While permission is not needed to go on public land, artifacts found on state-owned land are considered property of the state."

Reactions: ARC

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Tell em Big Foot dropped it, or here in Oz, Yowie dropped it!
Though im sure sooner or later a law will be passed that anything with Big Feet or has Yow in its name will be Govt Property! 😕

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to read and signed a document at a mine around the town of Midus, Nevada that stated I know and understand that any old artifacts such as stone tools to old bottles I might come by, I'll leave in place. I have very often parked at the Blue Mesa reservoir to look for artifacts and once I was on a hill and heard a voice down below hollar, Hello you ok up there!. I came down and it was two young park rangers. They were watching me from a distance walking and zigzaging about and thought I might be possibly delusional or something wrong. I thought I looked like a fella out looking for someone, which I was. I told them I was looking for evidence of past cultures and they said that's fine, but leave what you find on the ground. The one youngster had a sidearm and didn't do any talking. He had his hand rested right on his belt above the holster and I could tell he was a bit cautious, guess he wasn't a 100% I wasn't some nut wondering around. I read a theory once that if just one arrowhead was lost in an acre of ground each year for a hundred years straight there will be a hundred arrowheads within that acre of ground. Now just imagine thousands of years. Still many have been destroyed by other elements, but I believe there's thousands more to be found or at least in pieces.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sheesh not the screwdriver again... :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread