Need Some Advice

tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Kirk_75! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_metal_detector.gif
You might consider posting your requst on BRANDS > MINELAB for more exposure...

Kirk welcome to Treasurenet !1 I had a GPZ 7000 and sold it., I am in no condition to go prospecting !! As fo the difference in machines i am not a expert on any of them. i watched a few youtube videos on the 7000 and they seemed to do quite well :) Good luck and keep us posted

The 7000 is good for deeper larger nuggets with a more complicated interface and is very heavy like Gare said. The 6000 from what I can tell doesn't go as deep but it will find large and small nuggets equally well. The 6000 has a very simplified interface (similar to a Gold Monster) smaller battery and it's much lighter. The instructions say it's submersible to a meter, but when Minelab talks about the 6000 they say it's "weatherproof." Some people say that pinpointing with the 6000 is a pain in the rear. The Literature for the 6000 says that it's more "powerful" than the 5000, but a new 5000 is $4000, and a 6000 is around $6000. Not falling for marketing hype will save you $2000 upfront. If you're diligent any of these detectors will easily pay for themselves, but to get your first new PI with a warranty go for the 5000. If you want a 4500 you'll have to buy used for under $2000 with extra coils. The good thing about the 4500 and the 5000 is there are a lot of available aftermarket coils.

A PI detector that I totally forgot about in my last post is the Garratt ATX. People have said that it's almost as good as the 5000, but how do you quantify "almost?" I think that might be brand preference talking. Years ago a YouTuber named Bearkat did a series of comparison videos between the Minelab SDC2300 and the ATX and found they had virtually the same performance except that the ATX was about $1500 cheaper. The ATX and the SDC2300 are both waterproof and can fold into a backpack and they both can find ultra-small nuggets. The ATX is about $2400 with one coil and you can get the Deep Seeker package with two coils and a hard case for $2800. The SDC2300 is at $4000 right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back