More paintings on the North Umpqua

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This rock shelter can be almost driven to, it's just a very short hike. The Forest Service has opened the site again to the public. Going to Google Earth and putting in "Medicne Creek Rock Shelter," google earth will take you right to it. Trouble is the paintings haven't stood up to time. Lichens have covered and ruined a lot of them. Anyhow, when the Forest Service re-opened the site, they put out a press release in 2008, which follows:

– The Umpqua National Forest is celebrating National Trails Day and the Forest’s 100th birthday with the re-opening of the Medicine Creek Rock Shelter Trail on Saturday, June 7, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. To reach the trail, take State Highway 138 East from Roseburg to milepost 55. Turn on to Forest Service Road (FSR) 4775, the Medicine Creek Road, and travel another 1.3 miles to the trailhead.Medicine Creek Pictograph is a protected heritage site known to the general public since the 1930s. The large rock overhang bears the drawings of American Indians from the mid-18th century or earlier. Previously, a narrow and somewhat steep footpath took visitors to this familiar shelter."Thanks to Title II funding from the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act, there is now a smooth 0.2 mile trail accessible to assisted wheelchairs with an easy grade and a small bridge over a draw leading to the awe-inspiring wall of pictographs," said Cliff Dils, Forest Supervisor. "A contractor constructed the trail and bridge improving access to the site and then volunteers helped in completing and spreading gravel on the trail."Over the years thousands of people have visited the site, some less than respectful toward this cultural heritage site. Nature itself has had its part in obscuring the images on the rock with lichens and moss. The recent improvements will help protect the site.

Rock shelter4.jpg Rock shelter5.jpg Rock shelter6.jpg Rock shelter painting7.jpg Rock shelter painting6.jpg Rock shelter painting5.jpg Rock shelter painting2.jpg Rock shelter1.jpg Rock shelter3.jpg The first three photo's show the shelter, four pictures showing what's left of the paintings, the next to last picture is "Old Man rock" named by the Indians, seen from hiway 138 on the north Umpqua River. People climb that darn thing now. The last photo is the same river from the bridge on the way up to the shelter.

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
man i really like your posts keep em coming :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it has been quiet the show. Those pictures are really good. I imagine time will take its toll on open air the rock art. Nice to see it. Be a good subject for a book. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
At one time I wanted to do a video called' "Gone the People," and only have Native American flute music and go to every rock art site I could find and video tape the pictures. But dreams take time and money, and I had little of both.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
BosnMate said:
At one time I wanted to do a video called' "Gone the People," and only have Native American flute music and go to every rock art site I could find and video tape the pictures. But dreams take time and money, and I had little of both.

With the modern marvels now available to us, a film as the one you describe is easy to create. YouTube videos are easy to post. Did you want music playing, while still shots flash? Send me a Descriptive PM of what you envision. I may be of some value to you. Never stop dreaming, just look for similar dreamers. One dream may break easy, many dreams of similar nature add up to be a large achievable dream. The last two sentences were my take on philosophy!! Lol. Really, I may be able to help!

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With the modern marvels now available to us, a film as the one you describe is easy to create. YouTube videos are easy to post. Did you want music playing, while still shots flash? Send me a Descriptive PM of what you envision. I may be of some value to you. Never stop dreaming, just look for similar dreamers. One dream may break easy, many dreams of similar nature add up to be a large achievable dream. The last two sentences were my take on philosophy!! Lol. Really, I may be able to help!

At the time I had some high dollar VHS equipment and could do insert edits, title over live video, do some special effects, and one of my cameras even had a second hand lens, which when new the lens cost $6000, and that's just the lens, no camera body or audio equipment. The lens was intended for 3/4" broadcast quality video. Even then no company made anything that was interchangeable, so second hand stuff had little value. I made several videos that sold well but expenses were so high I didn't make enough money to do anything buy more equipment and make more video's, couldn't seem to get ahead, because stuff kept getting better and I kept buying. But my stuff was called "prosumer" and I was shooting regular VHS, and then along came digital, and higher quality TV's, and the quality of analog VHS suddenly sucked, and I just got sick and tired of up grading. So what kind of videos did I make. I made one on how to make a stone age arrow, another on pressure flaking an arrowhead, one on making hand drill and bow drill fires, another on brain tanning buckskin etc. Before someone gets excited and wants me to sell them a video, I sold out to a guy in Montana, and he took the videos off the market, replacing them with ones he was doing, so I can't sell any, and in fact I don't have any left, except I still have the "rushes," so could assemble little shorts from those. My VHS equipment has all either gone to the dump or has been sold off, however I still do have digitizing capabilities, and can digitize VHS into my MAC video editing program, which aint as easy as it sounds, because there are hundreds of VHS tapes that have to be searched in almost real time, so it would be labor intensive. I might do it sometime, but nobody hold your breath, because you'd be plenty blue before I got done. Just thinking about it leaves me cold. Anyhow, you asked about my dream. Well it never got to the story board stage, so this is out of my head, and heart. I love Indian flute music, and what my thoughts were at the time was to have someone, preferably a Native American expert on the flute do a song called "Gone the Buffalo," and get some really good shots of buffalo, rolling in the dust, fighting, what ever, doing buffalo things, interspersed with hide hunting stills, and finally skulls and bones, all that behind the flute song. The next song could be "Gone the People," and do stills of original photos, utilizing the Burns effect so that the stills are moving like they did on the civil war TV show, which I don't remember it's name, but they had the neat violin music. Right now they are lots of locations that have built reproductions of various Indian and fur trade locations, like the Mandan house on the Missouri River, and there are Rock Shelters, and Fort Union on the Missouri, and Lewis and Clark's fort at Astoria and lots of other historical locations, and those could be video'd, and of course flute music or narration where needed. From a sales and money making standpoint, the DVD's probably shouldn't be over 30 min., so there would be a series, with one DVD showing only paintings and petroglyphs, the other buffalo songs, etc. But that's where my dream ended. Because of copyright laws and privacy laws, etc. it would require original footage, that is paid for and you own, so permission has to be acquired, either begged or paid for and signed off all legal, or you can't sell the end product without the chance of being sued, so getting the needed video and stills and acquiring the historical pictures would take lots of time and money, and the market is limited to people who like Flute music. Keep in mind, if you commercially shoot stuff that is owned by the government, like Yellowstone buffalo and elk, you have to have permission to use it, and probably will have to pay. I think the big boys got those laws passed so they would control the market, and not have any competition from the little guys. I remember wanting to use a certain song on a video, and they wanted $5000 and had all kinds of rules for use. So I turned to music from amateurs I could buy for $50, and used songs old enough to be in public domain. Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. As far as giving up on a dream. I'm too old, on a fixed income and have neither the health, time, or money, so someone younger needs to take it on, and I'll be the cheer leader.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread