Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen an axe peened over so much. Some of the ones I have found were like this, but much less metal displaced, and the area where the handle was attached had bulged, suggesting the heads were used as wedges. But yours has no side bulge so that peening must have been when it was used as a hammer. Lots of pounding, probably on a metal splitting wedge. The head is sophisticated, like a factory one, with the extensions where the handle entered. Nice find!

OP
OP
L

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
I've never seen an axe peened over so much. Some of the ones I have found were like this, but much less metal displaced, and the area where the handle was attached had bulged, suggesting the heads were used as wedges. But yours has no side bulge so that peening must have been when it was used as a hammer. Lots of pounding, probably on a metal splitting wedge. The head is sophisticated, like a factory one, with the extensions where the handle entered. Nice find!
Makes sense. Have found 4 whole axes and two broken ones at 5 different homesites on the property. As yet have not found a single sledgehammer. One wedge and many RR spikes may have been used as log splitters. Thanks for the reply

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I think I will leave the blunt end on this one and make it look more rustic. Some smaller finds but mostly larger pieces. Another snap with the back still attached but don’t think there is writing on this one. 45 degrees to begin this morning’s hunt. Good luck to all!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread