63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First my apologies to the Moderators, I wanted to post this where all could see so we could all stay informed on what is going on.

All of us need to get involved in what is happening right now here in California with a Land Grab involving the listing of the Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog as an Endangered Species and the Dredging Ban. Please go to my post under the Dredging & High Banking Section, the post is "Alert 2nd Time for the frog & dredging". If we do not ALL write in, call, email, fax our opinions POLITELY then we are all going to loose our rights to prospect. As a side note some of what they, the DFG as prompted by a group of 12 people, are proposing could even close something as simple and non harmful as rafting on the rivers and streams! This is the time to fight! Do not just sit there and read without sending in your comments on these subjects! PLEASE get involved/stay involved!

Thank you, Herb/63bkpkr

Upvote 0
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi lowctoy,
I know you are joking about it and besides frogs are nice critters and make great noises. The real problem is the folks that are trying to save non-existant frogs in the areas they say the frogs "could" be in. I've hiked one of the closed areas since 1964 and I've never seen a single one of the frogs they claim live there. It is a shame what is happening in this country. Be sure to vote this coming presidential election.....63bkpkr

bluarc1

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t use a dredge?
Change the dredge so it will no longer fit the legal description.
I have been working on a new part that replaces the sluice box on a dredge. That way the description of a dredge will not qualify it as a dredge as per the CDFG criteria. The removing of one of the components required to constitute a dredge as per their legal description removes it from their control. No more permits will be required. This involves a couple of classifiers to remove the bigger stuff (primarily rocks) and funnels the remaining smaller material into my new device for separation and retention of gold. I have the main unit made and only need to do some testing, this I will do as the weather gets better as I live in the flat land and need to get to the river where I can test with the water and materials in the river. Hard to get river access around close by. I am a member of the "Coarsegold Prospectors" in Coarsegold, CA.
I too bought a new Keene 4 inch set-up and only got to use it for part of one outing (half a tank of fuel). It has been in my garage since and not seen water. Not crying about it just pi$$ed. That was my retirement hobby just like many of you out there. There is not that much black sand collected, getting right down to it at the end of a day dredging. I just have to get real efficient at getting the unwanted stuff out so in the end I am only processing 2 per cent material of what water I use for the processing by volume.
I am sure that you are all aware that some people are very gifted in math, reading or remembering things. That sort of thing come somewhat automatic to those people and I understand that. Just like a spark will light a flame when it hits the fumes on a gas stove, it just happens. I am that way when I think I need to fix something, anything. Need jobs? Stop importing. They build it cheaper. Don't buy it. Need more tax money? Don't just plug, remove all loop holes, implement a consumers tax at point of sale. Want a budget balanced don't spend what is not ours (in our account). I am sure many people out there can come up with fixes for all things. Try to get a lawyer to help. I have a nephew retired Ca. state attorney general assistant. He won't help not his field of endeavor. Well fixing our problem is not my field either but I really like to find that yellow stuff, and I don't like any body telling me I can't. Where there's a will, I will be there.
Oh in closing this novel I just bought a brand new GMT and will be getting one of those 9 inch Hot Foots for it next month. I have been practicing in my and my neighbors yard. May you all find lots! of yellow stuff. This GMT is brand new in the box not a scratch on it never even been put together, picked it up at a local pawn shop for $300.
A "Spectra V3i" will be next on my list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t use a dredge?
Change the dredge so it will no longer fit the legal description.
I have been working on a new part that replaces the sluice box on a dredge. That way the description of a dredge will not qualify it as a dredge as per the CDFG criteria. The removing of one of the components required to constitute a dredge as per their legal description removes it from their control. No more permits will be required. This involves a couple of classifiers to remove the bigger stuff (primarily rocks) and funnels the remaining smaller material into my new device for separation and retention of gold. I have the main unit made and only need to do some testing, this I will do as the weather gets better as I live in the flat land and need to get to the river where I can test with the water and materials in the river. Hard to get river access around close by. I am a member of the "Coarsegold Prospectors" in Coarsegold, CA.

Hello Bluarc, this thread is old but not forgotten and I've left it here so that every now and then someone like yourself might read it to realize they are not alone. Your invention sounds like it has great merit, I suspect you are perfecting it to be as near fool proof as possible, you need water to do this though this exposes your idea to the 'public' as well as those against it with unscrupulous types in both camps. There is a need for any inventor to protect his/her invention from those who would steal them or outlaw them. I'm certain you understand this however a word of caution as a friendly reminder is offered with a wish of protecting you from your own excitement with you invention and possibly loosing it with exposure to the public. And I must continue this later as I must leave for work. But I must ask, the hot foot for the GMT, are those being manufactured new and are they generally available or have you found an old one?? Regards..........63bkpkr

I too bought a new Keene 4 inch set-up and only got to use it for part of one outing (half a tank of fuel). It has been in my garage since and not seen water. Not crying about it just pi$$ed. That was my retirement hobby just like many of you out there. There is not that much black sand collected, getting right down to it at the end of a day dredging. I just have to get real efficient at getting the unwanted stuff out so in the end I am only processing 2 per cent material of what water I use for the processing by volume.
I am sure that you are all aware that some people are very gifted in math, reading or remembering things. That sort of thing come somewhat automatic to those people and I understand that. Just like a spark will light a flame when it hits the fumes on a gas stove, it just happens. I am that way when I think I need to fix something, anything. Need jobs? Stop importing. They build it cheaper. Don't buy it. Need more tax money? Don't just plug, remove all loop holes, implement a consumers tax at point of sale. Want a budget balanced don't spend what is not ours (in our account). I am sure many people out there can come up with fixes for all things. Try to get a lawyer to help. I have a nephew retired Ca. state attorney general assistant. He won't help not his field of endeavor. Well fixing our problem is not my field either but I really like to find that yellow stuff, and I don't like any body telling me I can't. Where there's a will, I will be there.
Oh in closing this novel I just bought a brand new GMT and will be getting one of those 9 inch Hot Foots for it next month. I have been practicing in my and my neighbors yard. May you all find lots! of yellow stuff. This GMT is brand new in the box not a scratch on it never even been put together, picked it up at a local pawn shop for $300.
A "Spectra V3i" will be next on my list.

See my partial response to your comments between the lines of your comments......63bkpkr

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been dredging / prospecting for 35 years. Our 8" , 6" and two 4" dredges sit dry in California. we had to run dredges in So. Oregon. We have pumped over $50,000 into the economy in our Nor-Cal canyon over the last couple of decades, just in simple food , supplies and fuel . The local vendors and stores are going to fail without the seasonal miners.

You want to catch some of the healthiest , fattest Brown Trout you've ever seen? Drop a streamer in one of our dredge holes from 5 years ago. The Browns can drop eggs and protect them from the Sacramento Sucker fish between the now, exposed boulders. In turn the best fishing in that stretch of river I've seen since a kid. I have pictures of before and after areas devoid of fish fry . Now teaming with fry , and adults sitting in the shadows. We've landed fish in the 3 - 7.5 lbs class. Where the norm is 14 - 16 " in the deep holes. It was mostly planted Rainbows and some small Brookies when I was younger. Now with ambush holes the native Browns have done much better.

I graduated from UCSC with a degree in wildlife biology. I can't buy into the rhetoric that has come down the pipes within our state government . The studies I've read we're completely biased. Done correctly , and responsibly, small scale dredging has only helped the fish populations were I have grown up , fished and prospected .

When I brought in a 4.68 lbs bottle of mercury (collected over 20 years of dredging / highbanking ) to a hearing to show the USFS , when they said "dredging didnt help with mercury in the waterways." I was greeted with " that came from a lab " . I then invited the agent to test the bottle for presence of gold (which I know is still there , not all met the retort ). I was met with " we have our evidence , that won't be necessary " . I was sickened .

One of our best defenses , no fluff. I donate here

Public Lands for the People, Inc.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No fluff, - I second that. Whether you believe in Public Lands for the People or not, the fact is, the few lawyers they have are the only legal reps. we have.
and as we speak they are fighting for our rights in San Bernadino, Ca. against a monster environmental machine.

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fullpan. I was getting fired up after posting that, and had to edit it , and add some of what I've dealt with.

A new chapter I'm dealing with , was the installation of a USFS gate placed on my property on MY road ( 14.85 acres ). Excavated by me, maintained by me. I don't want to hose myself , but I'll post an update of how this plays out. Nonetheless an Oxy torch and a winch took care of it. Last I heard there was a apology in order. I,can't wait to get the $1400 bill for their mistake. Neither can my attourney.
A good friend who is Cal DFG LE, was perplexed how they could make that mistake. It's really unnerving.
About 3 years ago there were stacks and stacks of forest service gates at a local mountain FS station maintenance yard. I was only wondering where they were going . I guess I found out.
I always come across new gates with no explanation on public FS roads the last 3 -4 years. Answer I received from a FS rep .? Was to protect the private timber interests up the mountain. Really ?? I know where the private boundaries are on my mountain and surrounding mountains. That statement did not jive with me at all. Capital B - capital S.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ca70,

Thank you for your refreshing first hand truths about the rivers, state meetings and dredged mercury retains and the gates.

Fullpan I as well as many others have hopes the trial and judgement will be settled because truth and justice were followed. Or in other words, that the judgement will be in our favor..........63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63 - you will probably be speaking chinese (if your job comes thru) before the final judgements come down (U.S. Supreme Court?) Really gonna miss you
and your pics & stories.

Ca70 - Can't hurt to PM Hefty1 as he's had his own dealings with USFS as you know. He might have some insight to pass along to your atty.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ca70,you must be dredging some clean waters!!!I used to pull 5 lbs of Merc a season and 5-15 lbs of lead!I brought the Merc to one of the hearings too and was chastised and threatened for bringing a toxic substance and transporting it without a Hazmat permit!!!True story!!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago I had a dream that 4 or 5 ex-dredgers got together and videoed the dumping of 5 containers of merc. off a bridge. Their placards read
something like "You don't want Free Mercury from us, Cal.? You would rather pay $4,000 per ounce? - Well, here you go!" It created a viral storm that
national media picked up. So, come to find out, they had placed a large sheet of transparent plastic underwater to catch all the merc. It was just a dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, you got wicked dreams! :thumbsup:

Yes, IF I am in China it will mean a real change of lifestyle though I will continue to lurk this site if I can get it there......63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come to think of it, the recent Supreme Court ruling (see my post - good news for placer miners) says pollution in waters can be moved and replaced into
the same waters - sounds to me like dumping back the mercury is perfectly legal! (i'll have to check with Matlock to be sure though):laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan,
That would be one silly ruling! If so then why all the noise about someone coming in and dredging the rivers to clear them of mercury? Just silly.

From what Hoser posted about the rattle snakes and the temps And if just at the start of summer we do not have a cold snap and tons of snow comes down then it is possible the mountains will open up early and by July the rivers will be way down. Could be an interesting year for prospecting. Now, where am I going to be??...............63bkpkr

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kuger said:
Ca70,you must be dredging some clean waters!!!I used to pull 5 lbs of Merc a season and 5-15 lbs of lead!I brought the Merc to one of the hearings too and was chastised and threatened for bringing a toxic substance and transporting it without a Hazmat permit!!!True story!!

Thats the Merc I still have . I've turned in a vast number of 3 and 5 oz vials over the years. But always kept a little for myself. You never know. comes in handy.
Countless lead weights. I would usually melt those down into a pencil weight mold for steelhead drift fishing . You're right though. Your Hazmat fiasco seems like such an appropriate response from "them".

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening Hefty 1,
I think I know what you are referring to and do not worry I did not, in fact I never went. In the companies first official act they told a little white lie and I guess expected me to go along with it. Nope! The following Monday I received a call indicating that the company had added a significant amount to the already reasonable $ offer but I would not sell myself for any price.

Today I received my final pre-op date 13 March and the surgery will be performed on the 18th of March 2013.

I've made work interesting for myself and hopefully I can do some good for the company, if they will let it happen.

I'm still looking for a new job and oddly enough things just keep popping up, how about in Utah.

Later.................63bkpkr

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Evening Hefty 1,
I think I know what you are referring to and do not worry I did not, in fact I never went. In the companies first official act they told a little white lie and I guess expected me to go along with it. Nope! The following Monday I received a call indicating that the company had added a significant amount to the already reasonable $ offer but I would not sell myself for any price.

Today I received my final pre-op date 13 March and the surgery will be performed on the 18th of March 2013.

I've made work interesting for myself and hopefully I can do some good for the company, if they will let it happen.

I'm still looking for a new job and oddly enough things just keep popping up, how about in Utah.

Later.................63bkpkr
I wonder if anything came about that yellow leg green frog? By the way does not the Fish & Game understand there are hills of Cynabar mineral rock that seeps out Mercury and it goes into the streams & lakes? It is not 100% mining which puts Mercury in the streams. also arsenic comes out of soil and in some mines and streams. Today on Yahoo health it is recomended that you boil rice for at least 10 min...This boils out the arsenic! Who Knew!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'truth - you mention the Foothill Yellow-legged frog. Here's what I found doing some research. The CDFG in their SEIR has declared the frog to be a Species
of Special Concern (SSC), therefore restricting the river miners in the North Fork American River and 20 miles to the North, same restrictions on the SF Yuba
River. I found a documented photo of this frog at Codfish Falls in the NFAR less than than five miles from Combie Lake on the Bear River which lies between the other two watersheds. Logic will tell you that the habitat must then include Combie and the Bear. But the massive mercury removal project, which will cost
7 million, makes no mention of the FYLF in their 100,000 dollar environmental study. Just another example of cherry-picking the science to their own benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread