Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a bullet guy, but I see others posting 3-ring variety from the civil war era. Then I found these 2-ring ones, and this is the first time I've seen any that look like this.

I found them in north Texas, and when I did some online searches I saw some pictures that look very similar and are described as Confederate Gardner bullet.

Any help one way or the other would be appreciated.

2- Ring Bullet 1.JPG 2- Ring Bullet 2.JPG 2- Ring Bullet 3.JPG

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure of the exact age but I can tell you they are not civil war era. Look carefully at the groves. You will see serration lines. That method of loading ammo didn't come about until after the war.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Duggap is correct... the "serration lines" in the bullet's body-groove date from approximately 1880 at the earliest -- and are still on bullets made in the 21st-Century. That is what is called a "reeded groove" or "reeded cannelure" or "knurled cannelure." Here's a photo of a 20th-Century bullet with a reeded body-groove.

The photo showing your bullets atop a ruler's edge indicates they are either .44 or .45-caliber bullets. The closest match-up I can find for the bullet on the right is a rimfire .44 Howard bullet from about 1885 through the 1890s. See cartridge #6 (from the left) in the photo of .44 Rimfire cartridges at the following webpage: THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,382
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. All good info and appreciate the link to the Cartridge Collectors page.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions