What is the difference in Deus 2 coils?

Great Posting jeff H

All depends on what type of hunting you do? Smaller coil is genereally better in trashy areas. Bigger coils give a very slight depth advantage but offer a significant coverage advantage.
So I hunt some parks and some open fields. What size coil should I get?

So I hunt some parks and some open fields. What size coil should I get?
I have to agree with Jeff. In my limited experience, parks tend to be "trashier" while open fields tend to be emptier. YMMV.

I went a slightly different way... I got both the 9" and the 11" x 13". My plan for my current permission is to scan once with the larger coil, marking potential hits with flags, and then come through again with the 9".

Now if my primary interest were just silver coins & artifacts, and I had to limit myself to just one coil, it'd be the 9".

I have to agree with Jeff. In my limited experience, parks tend to be "trashier" while open fields tend to be emptier. YMMV.

I went a slightly different way... I got both the 9" and the 11" x 13". My plan for my current permission is to scan once with the larger coil, marking potential hits with flags, and then come through again with the 9".

Now if my primary interest were just silver coins & artifacts, and I had to limit myself to just one coil, it'd be the 9".
I was thinking of getting the 9” but with limited budget, I wanted to know what other users thought. I have not purchased unit yet so I am trying to weigh my options and spend my money wisely. Is there any other advice you have?

I got the 9" package and bought the 12 X 13" later to cover all my bases.

I was thinking of getting the 9” but with limited budget, I wanted to know what other users thought. I have not purchased unit yet so I am trying to weigh my options and spend my money wisely. Is there any other advice you have?
I would ask about the remote vs. WS6 from folks who've used--or use--both. You can save some cash buying the puck (WS6) version. I have both, but I've only used the remote because I prefer the WSA II-XL headphones, and I've heard conflicting stories about whether they (WS6, remote) truly have the same capabilities and adjustments. I also don't know how the puck version works underwater (if that's important to you).

If you prefer the remote version, I'd skip the WS6 for now and get one of the other wireless headphones.

I'm learning my way around the machine, and man, it beeves! 😛 I started out using the remote on the stalk, but it was difficult for me to see and work the buttons, so now I'm using it handheld or belt/pocket. No worries--everything's wireless! 😃

I also love the MI-6, but if you already have a pinpointer (I assume you do), it's an item you might hold off on to save a bit. The wireless pairing is great, but is it worth it? IDK. :dontknow:

I would ask about the remote vs. WS6 from folks who've used--or use--both. You can save some cash buying the puck (WS6) version. I have both, but I've only used the remote because I prefer the WSA II-XL headphones, and I've heard conflicting stories about whether they (WS6, remote) truly have the same capabilities and adjustments. I also don't know how the puck version works underwater (if that's important to you).

If you prefer the remote version, I'd skip the WS6 for now and get one of the other wireless headphones.

I'm learning my way around the machine, and man, it beeves! 😛 I started out using the remote on the stalk, but it was difficult for me to see and work the buttons, so now I'm using it handheld or belt/pocket. No worries--everything's wireless! 😃

I also love the MI-6, but if you already have a pinpointer (I assume you do), it's an item you might hold off on to save a bit. The wireless pairing is great, but is it worth it? IDK. :dontknow:
Thanks for the info! I was initially thinking of the ws6 but I seen some stuff online of people saying theirs stopped working and had to be sent in. I do have a pin pointer already so I don’t know if I need the MI 6.

Thanks for the info! I was initially thinking of the ws6 but I seen some stuff online of people saying theirs stopped working and had to be sent in. I do have a pin pointer already so I don’t know if I need the MI 6.
Agreed. Save your money toward your prioritized wish-list. 😉

I have the 9" coil and it's great for detecting the fields/bush.
I don't think that depth is an issue between the larger and the 9" as I can dig 10"+ targets no problem.
The thing about the smaller one is the ability to get around in the corn stalks, rolling tilled fields, brush, treed areas.
Had mine for a 1.5 yrs now-no plan to be getting a larger coil.

No problem with the PP just little issues like forgetting to recharge it regularly (charges last 60+ hrs)
Thumbing the on/off with thick insulated gloves on-then it gets unpaired.

Get the full remote, a lot easier to navigate, read the screen, and for target ID if using the X/Y setting.
The X/Y screen its handy doing a quick Check if a high tone/number (iron close/big cast/spike/washer/nut/bent nail) it will ID those out.
Helps in the iron patches with the digging.

For audio go High Square as it really does separate the sound (often if it's iron the high tone will have a iron sound off the sides of the high tone) hard to explain. It's getting the ears trained to the sounds.

No problem with the PP just little issues like forgetting to recharge it regularly (charges last 60+ hrs)
That could explain why the sound cut out on mine.
I spoze my only complaint about the MI-6 is that there's a learning curve to turning the thing on & off (especially off).

I have both the 9 and 11 inch coils and would recommend you get both or the 9 and 13 inch coils. The 9" is a must for yards and high target sites. The 11 or 13 is needed in more open areas with less targets. Depth does increase some with size but the Deus 2 will surprise you how deep it will go even with the smaller coil. I am debating on adding the 13" coil to my set up right now but also thinking about the 13" for my ORX....i only have the 9" HF coil for the ORX right now.

I have the 9" coil and it's great for detecting the fields/bush.
I don't think that depth is an issue between the larger and the 9" as I can dig 10"+ targets no problem.
The thing about the smaller one is the ability to get around in the corn stalks, rolling tilled fields, brush, treed areas.
Had mine for a 1.5 yrs now-no plan to be getting a larger coil.

Get the full remote, a lot easier to navigate, read the screen, and for target ID if using the X/Y setting.
The X/Y screen its handy doing a quick Check if a high tone/number (iron close/big cast/spike/washer/nut/bent nail) it will ID those out.
Helps in the iron patches with the digging.

For audio go High Square as it really does separate the sound (often if it's iron the high tone will have an iron sound off the sides of the high tone) hard to explain. It's getting the ears trained to the sounds.
So when you pinpoint how do you know how deep the target is? Does it tell you so you know how deep to dig?

So when you pinpoint how do you know how deep the target is? Does it tell you so you know how deep to dig?
I dig, the last thing I really concern myself with is the depth.
Sound of the signal helps determine how far to dig.
Shovel blade is 11" I dig wide and deep.
The plugs can be 6-10" wide and 6" deep at least.
I'm detecting fields, bush, not lawns.
I've hit enough targets in my life to know that little plugs equal hit the target.
If the target still resides in the hole I pinpoint then so I don't hit it with the next excavation.
Site depending also, some sites everything is 6"-12" down.
Worked fields, it's a from laying on top to a foot down.

When you say, "pinpoint," do you mean using the pinpoint button/function on the Dēus II, or using a "pinpointer"?

I haven't any experience with the pinpoint button yet except for ground balancing, but the pinpointer (MI-4 or MI-6) sounds/vibrations change the closer you get to the target. I'm beginning to get a feel for depth (or distance between pp & target) with experience.

When you say, "pinpoint," do you mean using the pinpoint button/function on the Dēus II, or using a "pinpointer"?

I haven't any experience with the pinpoint button yet except for ground balancing, but the pinpointer (MI-4 or MI-6) sounds/vibrations change the closer you get to the target. I'm beginning to get a feel for depth (or distance between pp & target) with experience.
I think I tried the PP feature on the Deus a couple of times.
It's an issue of pressing the key pad with bulky gloves, use the other hand taken up holding shovel.
Easier just to use the coil, then dig wide and deep.
Just my 2 cents worth regarding that feature.
I guess when most of the hunting takes place in cooler weather it's a trade off then.

I think I tried the PP feature on the Deus a couple of times.
It's an issue of pressing the key pad with bulky gloves, use the other hand taken up holding shovel.
Yup! 🤣 I haven't worked out my method/s yet. I need some kind of belt or harness or something to hold all this... "stuff" on. (Maybe I just need to go back to bib overalls? 🤨)

Easier just to use the coil, then dig wide and deep.
Just my 2 cents worth regarding that feature.
I guess when most of the hunting takes place in cooler weather it's a trade off then.
That's what I've been doing, but I'm not doing well at centering my plugs. Seems I almost always have to dig into a sidewall; occasionally I lose the signal entirely. :dontknow:

Practice, practice, practice...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back