USPS Messed up my Ebay delivery

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I shipped out an ebay package last week. Package was supposed to go to a buyer in PA. Label was printed through ebay so I know the address is the one on file. Today I got the package back with a yellow sticker plastered over the buyers address that said "RETURN TO SENDER" & "UNABLE TO FORWARD". I sent an ebay message to the buyer asking them to verify their address & am waiting on a response. After that I checked the tracking. It shows the package was received at my PO on the 24th....& the next time it was scanned was the 30th as it was leaving Tampa, FL. WTF. Last time I checked PA was a heck of a long way from FL.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something that don't sound right, with your scenario, I mean with the tracking stuffs.
If it never made it out of the state of Florida, then I'd be explaining to the post office, why they need to re-issue the postage and send it on their dime. No wonder they're going broke, they half-azz do a job, or don't do it to begin....... sorry, I digress.

Leave the package the way it is, with that return stuff on it, if the PO will resend it, you want it to show, this was something outside your control. I would think the buyer should be ok, if it was a PO mistake, you have contacted them and made them aware of what happened. Good luck with this and keep us updated.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Just to clarify, I'm in Alabama. According to tracking the package went south instead of north. Looks to me like they sent it in the wrong direction. When they discovered they sent it the wrong way they returned it instead of sending it to it's intended destination.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought it was me!! It has been a total cluster @@@@ the last 2 weeks. Packages showing no scan until they reach the buyers Post Office. My stuff goes to Philadelphia and spends 2 days at the airport. Here is one of my regular customers. Printed directly from ebay with the same Phoenix address

Undeliverable as Addressed
Dec-01-14, 08:28 AM, PHOENIX, AZ 85032

Arrived at Post Office
Dec-01-14, 02:11 AM, PHOENIX, AZ 85032

Departed USPS Facility
Nov-30-14, 05:36 AM, PHOENIX, AZ 85043

Arrived at USPS Facility
Nov-29-14, 21:34 PM, PHOENIX, AZ 85043

Postal Service is like a 3 ring circus.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I dropped 7 packages off at the post on the 2nd. I didn't get a receipt, just left them in the drop off INSIDE the PO. 3 of them are either in transit or delivered. 4 of them show "label created" and it is not updated that they have received. Soooo annoying, because this was like the ONE time I didn't get a receipt for it. If they lose it, how do I prove that I dropped it off now?
I hate USPS, but I don't want to pay Fed-Ex prices, and neither do my buyers.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Around here people seem to think it's a good idea to have long conversations about nothing with the postal clerks. Due to that it takes 20-45 minutes to get a receipt. Unless I happen to get there when the place is empty my packages go on the drop off counter. I've only had one package that didn't get scanned in at my PO & it got scanned on the buyers end the day after I started worrying about it.

I reshipped this package on the 3rd. Tracking shows it being accepted at my PO & then being transferred to the big city where the main hub is later that night.....& not a darn thing since. Hopefully they sent it north to it's destination instead of back to Tampa. Without any more tracking info over the last 2 days who knows???

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cat, take it to the PO and complain, try to get them to print a new (free for you) label for it. It's their screw-up, not yours.

FYI- a little off subject but I noticed that ebay will count an unscanned package (within handling time) against you now in your performance rating (for top rated seller status). I used to drop mine at the PO, now I stand in line to have them scanned because sometimes they don't get scanned until they reach another facility. You used to be able to just print the label and be done with it. I lost my top rated seller status because of this and another one of the tactics they use now to get rid of "top rated seller" statuses, related to the "transaction defect rate," but that's another story. Hopefully I will get my status back in the next performance rating, if not I'm not gonna even try anymore. Screw 'em. I'm starting to not like selling on eBay anymore. It's great for buying, but it gets worse everyday for us sellers and the flaming hoops they try to make us jump through. Time will tell.

Tracking uploaded
100.00%

Tracking uploaded within handling time 86.21% (needs to be 90%)

Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
100.00%

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe we will see the end of the USPS within our lifetime. The costs keep going up but the service keeps going down. They are so inept, and so unable to handle the most simple chores. Last week, a package I had ordered finally arrived.
The rural Postal driver put it in my mail box. The package was 3X5 my mail box is 3.1X 9 It was put in from the large rear service door. Problem was the front where I open it is smaller opening than the interior due to the door frame, so the box would not come out the front, EVER. What a bright idea. I had to tear little pieces off the front of the box, pull out all the foam packing piece by piece, then remove the part, then rip the box small enough to be removed. Of course this all happened at night, in rain and wind. Go figure. What a PITA. Other times if we don't pick up our mail they keep shoving more mail in, until it is in there like a trash compactor pushed it all together, Once again, impossible to get it out without tearing it all up. ???

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I agree with Cat, take it to the PO and complain, try to get them to print a new (free for you) label for it. It's their screw-up, not yours.

FYI- a little off subject but I noticed that ebay will count an unscanned package (within handling time) against you now in your performance rating (for top rated seller status). I used to drop mine at the PO, now I stand in line to have them scanned because sometimes they don't get scanned until they reach another facility. You used to be able to just print the label and be done with it. I lost my top rated seller status because of this and another one of the tactics they use now to get rid of "top rated seller" statuses, related to the "transaction defect rate," but that's another story. Hopefully I will get my status back in the next performance rating, if not I'm not gonna even try anymore. Screw 'em. I'm starting to not like selling on eBay anymore. It's great for buying, but it gets worse everyday for us sellers and the flaming hoops they try to make us jump through. Time will tell.

Tracking uploaded
100.00%

Tracking uploaded within handling time 86.21% (needs to be 90%)

Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
100.00%

I pulled this from a facebook group I belong to. This is supposed to be the actual policy used straight from an ebay spokesman.

This was posted by Jim "Griff" Griffith from ebay to claify the Ebay requirement for handling time for TRS.
From Griff

I have a special request to make to all those who have other FB groups or pages or eBay Community Groups. Please share or cut and
paste this post for your members and subscribers. Thanks!

There is still some confusion both about how tracking uploading and scanning impacts a seller’s status and how tracking uploading and scanning actually works on eBay.

1. 90% tracking upload and verification (scan) is one of several requirements for Top Rated Seller and Top Rated Plus inclusion. They have NOTHING to do with defects. Not uploading tracking (within or without your handling time) will not result in a defect. A shipment that is never scanned will NOT result in a defect.

2. Verification of tracking with a scan does not mean that the package must be scanned at acceptance or drop off. Verification simply means the package was scanned at some point in its travels from drop off to the buyer’s location! This could be drop off, or it could be at some point along the parcel’s trip to the buyer, or it could be a delivery scan. UPSHOT: You can stop worrying if your local Postal carrier or clerk doesn’t scan your shipments at drop off. (USPS drivers are required to scan packages when they come for a scheduled pick up. Have a scan form ready for them. BUT… if the driver doesn’t scan them for some reason, it will NOT impact your account status).

3. eBay Print Labels and Tracking Upload are facilitated by a third party company (Pitney Bowes). This means that it can take at least one business day before a tracking number’s verified scan shows on your eBay Seller Dashboard. Any delay in displaying tracking information will have
absolutely no impact on your performance status.

4. The percentage of transactions with tracking uploaded and verified displayed in your Seller Dashboard will always be delayed
by a day up to a week. So even if you are absolutely certain you are uploading tracking for 100% of all your shipments, the percentage will never show as 100% as long as you are uploading
tracking most every day. Here’s why:

The eTRS requirements for uploaded tracking now also include that the tracking number itself is verified with a scan by the carrier at some point along that item’s shipping journey. That verifying scan could be at acceptance, at some point along the journey or at delivery. This verification is not available at the real time moment a label is printed. The package has to get into the mail flow and be scanned at some point and that scan has to be sent by USPS to Pitney Bowes and then to eBay. That means there will always be a delay in recording this information. For a seller who sells at least one item every day, this will mean that the percentage shown will never be 100% in real time. But what matters is not real time tracking upload and verification for Top Rated Seller requirements.

So, are you certain you are uploading your tracking in your stated handing time? Then stop worrying!

Remember, every seller account is evaluated on the 20th of the month for the preceding evaluation period which ends on last day
of the preceding month. For example: for a seller with a 12 month look back evaluation period, his account is evaluated on say, July 20th for the past 12 months from June to June. This
20-day window allows for an accurate reading of that seller’s verified tracking as it stood on June 30th. If the seller uploaded tracking for 100% of all packages in that June-June period it will be shown as 100% tracking.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled this from a facebook group I belong to. This is supposed to be the actual policy used straight from an ebay spokesman.
I know it has nothing to do with my "defect rate". but... Here is a copy&paste straight from my ebay dashboard from my last performance rating-

Tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier
frr410np4izh1aitp2zf111hue4.png

(25 out of 29 transactions)
(Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%)

This "Griff" guy should be a politician the way he worded his "explanation". Below is what it says on ebay. Read the red highlighted area, which is the same thing that "Griff" said only he did not say it as clearly. He also neglects to mention the fact that as a TRS you only have 1 business day to have that label scanned by a carrier. Instead he goes on a long drawn out tirade in his number 2 explanation. Actually "Griff" is telling people to stop worrying because he probably wants them to lose their TRS status. Think about it, if you have thousands of TRS's that get a 20% final value fee discount, then you have potentially millions in profits being "lost" by those discounts on a yearly basis. In a profit driven, capitalist society this is not an acceptable business practice.

Tracking requirements:

You've uploaded valid shipment tracking to My eBay within your promised handling time for at least 90% of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.
1 business day handling time: If a buyer pays on Tuesday, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday.
Same business day handling time: If you offer same business day handling, you also have 1 business day to upload valid tracking information. For example, if a buyer pays on Tuesday at 10:00 am Pacific Time, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday.The tracking number must have at least one carrier scan recorded within your promised handling time.
Handling time is measured in business days. Weekends and holidays aren't counted. For example, if you specify 1-day handling time and a buyer pays on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Monday.
If a buyer purchases items from multiple listings, each listing (or transaction) must have a tracking number, even if all the items have been combined into a single order for shipping.
Exceptions: You're not required to upload tracking for:
Unpaid items
Canceled transactions
Listings where the buyer selects freight or local pick-up
Classified Ads

Last edited:

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had several packages that don't get scanned in until the buyers PO and I still have 100% rate. Unless something has changed in the last month I'm pretty sure its still how Griff explains it.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Digg you are right I had a problem since Thanksgiving. I called ebay about 4 packages that were not scanned after being tendered to the PO. First scan was 4 days later in CA. Ebay told me NOT to worry about it at this time, because I wasn't anywhere near going below 90%. But I have 4 new defects.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had several packages that don't get scanned in until the buyers PO and I still have 100% rate. Unless something has changed in the last month I'm pretty sure its still how Griff explains it.
You see there in itself lies the problem. The only thing that "Griff" actually says in all that mumbo jumbo, is that an unscanned package does not count against your "defect" rate. That's it. It does however count against your 90% minimum tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier. The key words are "validated by carrier" and "within handling time". This must be done within 1 business day. Slick talking "Griff" neglects to mention that little fact. Unfortunately if your a top rated seller and 90% of your tracking isn't scanned by a carrier within 1 business day, your gonna lose your TRS status. It's written in black and white.

trdhrdr007 - sorry to hijack your thread with the above posts. On a related note I just got a message from a buyer that said his package arrived with a broken item. One that I had double boxed and double bubble wrapped too. And it wasn't even glass. It was the wooden Johnny Walker display. Since I don't have my TRS status anymore and I didn't take out extra insurance, I think it's only covered for $50 (priority) and I'll probably have to jump through hoops to get that.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see there in itself lies the problem. The only thing that "Griff" actually says in all that mumbo jumbo, is that an unscanned package does not count against your "defect" rate. That's it. It does however count against your 90% minimum tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier. The key words are "validated by carrier" and "within handling time". This must be done within 1 business day. Slick talking "Griff" neglects to mention that little fact. Unfortunately if your a top rated seller and 90% of your tracking isn't scanned by a carrier within 1 business day, your gonna lose your TRS status. It's written in black and white. trdhrdr007 - sorry to hijack your thread with the above posts. On a related note I just got a message from a buyer that said his package arrived with a broken item. One that I had double boxed and double bubble wrapped too. And it wasn't even glass. It was the wooden Johnny Walker display. Since I don't have my TRS status anymore and I didn't take out extra insurance, I think it's only covered for $50 (priority) and I'll probably have to jump through hoops to get that.

Tell him to send you a picture of the broken. That's what I do anymore they can attach a picture or I'll even give them my cell phone number they can text me one. Every time I've done this they have never sent anything back. Or tell him to send it back and you will refund when it gets here. I fell for that thing a couple times even though I wrap stuff up so well and then say it's broken. And I can't believe it's broken so I can refund them anyways. scared to get a negative feedback.

Wow, hey sorry about that, can you please send me a picture for my records so I can verify with the person I am selling it for and for my records as well? Thank you very much for your time

Hasn't happened yet have I gotten anything back usually not even a response

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him to send you a picture of the broken. That's what I do anymore they can attach a picture or I'll even give them my cell phone number they can text me one. Every time I've done this they have never sent anything back. Or tell him to send it back and you will refund when it gets here. I fell for that thing a couple times even though I wrap stuff up so well and then say it's broken. And I can't believe it's broken so I can refund them anyways. scared to get a negative feedback.

Wow, hey sorry about that, can you please send me a picture for my records so I can verify with the person I am selling it for and for my records as well? Thank you very much for your time

Hasn't happened yet have I gotten anything back usually not even a response
Yeah, it's not my first rodeo. In his original message he asks for my cell number and/or an email address because he can't figure out how to send photos via eBay. Duh, I told him how. Not to mention, the last time I checked, my email would be readily available via paypal transaction details or he can ask for my contact information via eBay. At any rate, I gave him what he asked for and I told him to please send as many photos as possible including photos of the boxes, the packing materials etc..
He mentioned that this was the 3rd one that he bought this month that arrived broken (?really?flag?). I'll know whether the photos are of mine or not. It had several distinguishing marks on it among other things.

I haven't heard back from him yet but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. We'll see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I know it has nothing to do with my "defect rate". but... Here is a copy&paste straight from my ebay dashboard from my last performance rating-

Tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier
frr410np4izh1aitp2zf111hue4.png

(25 out of 29 transactions)
(Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%)

This "Griff" guy should be a politician the way he worded his "explanation". Below is what it says on ebay. Read the red highlighted area, which is the same thing that "Griff" said only he did not say it as clearly. He also neglects to mention the fact that as a TRS you only have 1 business day to have that label scanned by a carrier. Instead he goes on a long drawn out tirade in his number 2 explanation. Actually "Griff" is telling people to stop worrying because he probably wants them to lose their TRS status. Think about it, if you have thousands of TRS's that get a 20% final value fee discount, then you have potentially millions in profits being "lost" by those discounts on a yearly basis. In a profit driven, capitalist society this is not an acceptable business practice.

Tracking requirements:

You've uploaded valid shipment tracking to My eBay within your promised handling time for at least 90% of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.
1 business day handling time: If a buyer pays on Tuesday, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday.
Same business day handling time: If you offer same business day handling, you also have 1 business day to upload valid tracking information. For example, if a buyer pays on Tuesday at 10:00 am Pacific Time, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday.The tracking number must have at least one carrier scan recorded within your promised handling time.
Handling time is measured in business days. Weekends and holidays aren't counted. For example, if you specify 1-day handling time and a buyer pays on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Monday.
If a buyer purchases items from multiple listings, each listing (or transaction) must have a tracking number, even if all the items have been combined into a single order for shipping.
Exceptions: You're not required to upload tracking for:
Unpaid items
Canceled transactions
Listings where the buyer selects freight or local pick-up
Classified Ads

After reading this I'm not sure ebay has any idea what they are saying/doing. The sentence highlighted in red seems pretty clear. On the other hand I'm showing a 97.XX% tracking uploaded for having 34 out of 35 packages comply with the requirement. Out of those packages I can see that several were not scanned until they reached their destination. No idea why I have one that didn't get uploaded because I ship them all exactly the same.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this I'm not sure ebay has any idea what they are saying/doing. The sentence highlighted in red seems pretty clear. On the other hand I'm showing a 97.XX% tracking uploaded for having 34 out of 35 packages comply with the requirement. Out of those packages I can see that several were not scanned until they reached their destination. No idea why I have one that didn't get uploaded because I ship them all exactly the same.
I know that I printed labels for several items but did not mail them in the alotted 1 business day a few months ago when I was bust at work. So the percentages are right in my case. However, I'm wondering when this statement was added to the requirements because I never had to worry about getting anything actually scanned, just printed out and tracking is uploaded to eBay. I just dropped them at the PO and that was that. Been doing it for years, some packages were within the 1 business day and some weren't, never had any problems. That is until this past 2 months when I lost my TRS status because of the below 90% (scanned) rule. So this must be a new addendum recently added that I missed? That's all I can think of. How else can it be explained?

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had TRS since September and my PO really sucks most of the time. Always had 100%. If you're offering same day handling then you have to have it validated same day, but otherwise the package just has to be scanned before delivery.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what is going on with the PO, but most of my first class mail is taking days to just leave the first po to go to the sorting facility. Then a few more days to get to the next PO. Ebay really sucks right now. They are working against the sellers in every way possible. I just had a case opened because the woman didn't get her package. It's been floating around MA trying to find the right address. For days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread