monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm still pumped up so I hope I don't make mistakes on this post. I went back to my poverty point site because the farmer told me he had burned and disk the field and I could do what ever I wanted to in his fields. So I got my shovel, bucket and screen and hit it at dawn. I have been finding things on one little rise, so that's where I dug at. First thing I found I didn't know what it was till I washed it off. I think it is a pottery game piece that did not get finished. pp finds 9-15-13 013.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 014.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 017.JPGYou can see that it is concave on both sides and they ground on the edges trying to make it round. Then I found some other items pp finds 9-15-13 005.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 006.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 029.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 021.JPGI was getting tired by now I was only going 1ft to 1 1/2ft deep but I had done dug a 6x6 area and sifted it all. Then I found this.pp finds 9-15-13 018.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 019.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 033.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 035.JPGIt's just a crinoid stem fossil, but I have never seen one of this color in this area, most are just brown chert. This gave me a little more juice to hunt some more, I was ready to stop and I thought just one more scoop, and then this showed up on the screen.pp finds 9-15-13 003.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 004.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 009.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 010.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 011.JPGI thought I was going to faint and wet my pants at the same time. This has been my Holy grail, my number 1 on my bucket list, I could not get my breath. I was in shock for 15 min. I still can't get over it and may not for a long time. Here are some pics of it cleaned.pp finds 9-15-13 037.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 038.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 039.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 040.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 041.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 042.JPGpp finds 9-15-13 045.JPGI have only seen ones like this one in a museum. I am still in shock.

Upvote 0
WOW!!Bravo!

well done,that is super cool.thanks for the peek.

Most epic! Just think what's left to be discovered....

The gods have smiled upon you, what a great find. Most of us do not understand the significance of the Poverty Point culture, it is a unique unto itself with those great figurines, when you find an owl please send it to me............lol

Effigy bead? Ive never seen one before thats why I ask. Looks really nice and well made.

Holy :censored:, that is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time, be proud. I gotta build me one of those sifters this coming Winter. I say Banner, anyone else? Once again, :censored: awesome.... :notworthy:

Awesome find monsterrack. Those Poverty Point Effigy Beads are some of the coolest Beads you can find. Do you think it's an Owl or another type of Bird. I also think the Crinoid may have been a Bead too. It sure is awfully highly polished.

That is an outstanding find! WOW! One of the best I've seen posted here in a while from the deep south. I'm sure it will be a centerpiece in your collection. I also think it should be considered for a banner find too. JMO - Good luck.

Awesome find monsterrack. Those Poverty Point Effigy Beads are some of the coolest Beads you can find. Do you think it's an Owl or another type of Bird. I also think the Crinoid may have been a Bead too. It sure is awfully highly polished.
I agree with you, I think it's a bead also, and yes that is what is called a pot belly owl.

I agree with you, I think it's a bead also, and yes that is what is called a pot belly owl.

Im voting banner then. What a neat find Im happy for you, rock

CONGRATS on the find of anyone's life!!! Please search the area some more and let us see the finds,must be a lot more there.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back