Selling old & vintage jewelry: to clean or not to clean?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if there is a right answer to this question or if it's all circumstantial. When selling vintage & older jewelry, is it better to leave the pieces as is or to clean them? For example, if you have a vintage pair of sterling earrings that are severely tarnished, or an early 1900s gold filigree ring, do you polish them up and remove tarnish? I'm guessing some buyers may want to "collect" the pieces and would want them in their original condition. I'm guessing the other buyers - the ones that want to wear the jewelry - would rather it be all clean and shiny.

Does it just depend on the item or would all items sell better clean & polished?

Thanks for your feedback.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO - I leave the older pieces alone. Helps to show the age of the piece. If the buyer wants to shine it up, that is up to them.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't ever shine or polish anything, ever. I do clean the crud and gunk off most items but that is it.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Seems to be something I should stick to then. Any differing opinions or circumstances that go against that? Such as item types, age, etc..

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I bought a shark hand held steem cleaner that I use to clean what jewelry I can that will not damage it.When selling some thing that some one is going to wear and show off you HAVE to present it as well as you can.If you want to get top dollar for it.Later today if I find time I will clean one and show before and after pictures and you tell me which one you would pay the most for.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a little ultrasonic jewelry cleaner that I use for everything except vintage silver. Some people like their old silver to keep the patina (not tarnish), so I usually just do minimal cleaning on it. Just enough to shine it up a little for the photos but not really cleaning it.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I shouldn't polish the pieces. Now for tarnish, do you leave it on vintage pieces or remove it before selling?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've ruined a few vintage pieces trying to clean them. Rhinestones should NEVER be put into water. (Found out the hard way.) And the sonic cleaner can not be used with soft gems.

Silver, depends. You can wash some stuff with soap and water. I do try and get gunk, used feeling off. If there are no rhinestones, I will give them a quick dip in a bath (using my bowl from my sonic cleaner).

You can look up online how to wash certain vintage pieces. Some just need a polish with a cloth, some need to be turned upside down and brushed with a soft tooth brush. Like I said, I had all the "gems" fall out of one piece I tried to clean. Every last one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread