My ebay purchase arrived damaged. What should I expect?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
A few days ago, I bought a lot of two Lionel train accessories on ebay.

They arrived today via USPS Priority in a badly damaged flat rate box. On the top of the box, there is a USPS sticker that reads: "Received Possibly Damaged"

I opened the box, and one of the two items is utterly damaged. The plastic base is shattered, and the mechanism that operates it is destroyed, and in about 28 pieces.

Do I take it to the PO?

What will they do?

Will they let me keep the contents, or do I have to tender it if they pay a claim??

I'd love to have the parts from the damaged accessory!!!! As well, I hate to see any 65 year old Lionel item get trashed when there are parts value.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't think it was insured by the seller.

Is it true that there is now $50 worth of insurance on all flat rate boxes, provided free by the PO?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they didn't insure it then it's their problem, not yours.

Priority flat rate-

• Includes up to $50 in insurance coverage for mailpieces with barcodes4

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks, Dig.

Since there is an USPS sticker on the box stating "Received Possibly Damaged" with my zip code handwritten on the sticker, isn't the post office kind of saying "We damaged this box"?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Dig. Since there is an USPS sticker on the box stating "Received Possibly Damaged" with my zip code handwritten on the sticker, isn't the post office kind of saying "We damaged this box"?
You would think but not necessarily. The sticker says "Received Possibly Damaged" , that means the package looked that way when they received it, supposedly. That sticker was probably put on at a sorting facility. They would never admit to damaging anything. That is why they put the sticker on there. So they can say it was damaged when they first received it, in case an insurance claim is filed. That's the way I see it.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wondered about that, Dig.

I read the label as "The contents are possibly damaged when we left it on this dude's porch".

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
looks like shoddy packaging. go after the seller, through ebay.

I wouldn't have shipped the two items in such a small box, but all in all, they were packed appropriately. This package looks like it was partially smashed between two semi trucks.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I went to the post office to talk to the clerks.

They told me that the seller needs to file a claim, but in essence, they are saying that it is a waste of time, and probably will be denied to being "improperly packed."

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the $50 insurance on the box? I can tell you, getting insurance money from a shipping company is a pain. I haven't done it through usps, but I have saw it done through ups. It was a pain.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
priority boxes come insured and with tracking
insurance is up to $50.00, i would try to work it out with the seller,
if thats no good talk to e-bay and paypal.
as a seller myself i would take it back just to keep the customer and the peace
and correct it should not of come in to small of a box
i leave room for alot of cushion
good luck
you'll prevail

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
What about the $50 insurance on the box? I can tell you, getting insurance money from a shipping company is a pain. I haven't done it through usps, but I have saw it done through ups. It was a pain.

It is crazy...I've completed almost 8,000 transactions on ebay, and I still haven't ever had to file a claim. I have eaten a few packages though.

I think you and Dig are right...they aren't going to admit that they damaged a box. Getting money from them is going to be difficult.

I get the feeling that their excuse is always going to be that it wasn't properly. Even if you packed a toy train car in a box big enough to hold a full sized Pontiac sedan, they are still going to use the "not packed properly" line.

I know the clerks at my PO on a first name basis, and even they were giving me the run around before I left.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
UPDATE:

I emailed the seller and explained the situation.

They want me to ship the items back, and is offering to refund the original shipping plus the return shipping.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is about as good an outcome that you can expect.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I've had this happen before and read lots of advice on the internet, and it indeed(wrongly!!!!!) to me that you, the recipient carries the work to get it right. Think about it...the guy on the selling end, boxes the item, ships it and YOU ARE THE RESPONSIBLE ONE! Somebody has to explain that mentality to me. Seriously!

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buyer is not responsible for any damage that incurs while the package is being shipped. All the resposibility falls on the seller. Insurance is for the protection of the seller, buyer are proetected by buyer protection.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The buyer is not responsible for any damage that incurs while the package is being shipped. All the resposibility falls on the seller. Insurance is for the protection of the seller, buyer are proetected by buyer protection.
I've read just the opposite from other's reports over time. It seems to get messy when shipping agents get involved, even though sanity says it shouldn't. Just sayin'

I have to admit that I've never had an Ebay experience with this though.

Last edited:

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be true, however, if I package my box perfectly, and one of the post office machines tears it up, they should give me my money back through the insurance no questions asked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread