Info on Danish Shipwreck in Valparaiso, Chile (1884-1886)

JohanStenslie

Jul 7, 2023
Iā€™m not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but Iā€™m desperately trying to hunt down an answer, so here it is. Iā€™m currently researching my 4th-great-granduncle Einar Martin Einarsen (1862-1920). He was a Norwegian sailor who ended up settling down in ConcepciĆ³n, Chile after his ship was destroyed. Fortunately, he wasnā€™t on the ship when it burned down, because he had just broken his nose in an accident. Because of this, he had been ā€œleft in a hospital in Talcahuano, awaiting the return of the ship.ā€ I have five different sources that refer to this shipwreck, but none of them give an exact date or the name of the ship. With so many details, I imagined it would be easy to track down the name of the ship, but I havenā€™t had any luck yet.

Source A:
Ship: Danish Schooner (dansk skonnertbrigg)
Date: c. 1884

Source B:
Ship: Danish Sailing Vessel
Date: 1886

Source C:
Ship: No details
Date: Late 1884
Additional: ā€œWhen his ship was returning, already out to sea, loaded with saltpeter, this cargo caught fire and the sailboat burned and sank with all its sailors.ā€

Source D:
Ship: Sailship
Date: No details
Additional: ā€œhe came here on a sailship to load salpetre in northern Chile, there was a fire on-board and Martin was stranded in Valparaisoā€

Source E:
Ship: 4-masted ship (un barco de 4 palos)
Date: 1822 (This date is obviously wrong and must have been a typo)

P.S.
Although two sources claim that it was a Danish ship that went down, itā€™s certainly possible that it wasnā€™t. Those two sources were written by his brothers, who knew he had left Norway on a Danish ship en route to Brazil sometime between 1881-1883. They imply that the accident happened on the same ship he was hired on, but again I believe itā€™s possible the ship originated from another nationality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread