i need help to ID these two coins

coinfusion

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2011
ok well the coin with the anchor does not have a date on the coin, there is a tiny star beneath the anchors tip . around the anchor says RECHEN PFENNIG
on the back of the coin is a two headed bird with its wings open. it weighs 0.33gram and is 15mm is size

the second coin says..... 1 CF?OTNHKA . AND THE DATE ON IT IS 1901
it weighs 0.88gram and its dimensions are 16mm

Attachments

• New project 183.JPG
    New project 183.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 816
  • New project 188.JPG
    New project 188.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 452
  • New project 196.JPG
    New project 196.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 466
  • New project 186.JPG
    New project 186.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 516

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you don't mind.

Beth

Attachments

• New project 183.JPG
    New project 183.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 412
  • New project 186.JPG
    New project 186.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 462
  • New project 188.JPG
    New project 188.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 359
  • New project 196.JPG
    New project 196.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RECHEN PFENNIG means its a 'counting token/penny' & not a coin. We call them Jettons or as the French would say Jeton. It is Germany who took over the world in Jetton making, as they developed & guarded there mass production techniques & expertise. Basically flooded the UK/European market & put our manufactures out of business but that was hundreds of years before this Jetton/Token.

The closest I can get is a Rechenfennigmachermeister by the name of Ludwig Christian Lauer probably working from Kleinweidenmuhle on the banks of the river Pegnitz in the 1860s.

He produced the Jetton which BigC linked to on ebay & he produced Crowned Double-headed Imperial eagles with shield on breast, holding orb & sceptre. Problem is I can't find your combination of both matching dies, however, yours falls within the right weight & size for his Anchor type Jettons.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
CRUSADER said:
RECHEN PFENNIG means its a 'counting token/penny' & not a coin. We call them Jettons or as the French would say Jeton. It is Germany who took over the world in Jetton making, as they developed & guarded there mass production techniques & expertise. Basically flooded the UK/European market & put our manufactures out of business but that was hundreds of years before this Jetton/Token.

The closest I can get is a Rechenfennigmachermeister by the name of Ludwig Christian Lauer probably working from Kleinweidenmuhle on the banks of the river Pegnitz in the 1860s.

He produced the Jetton which BigC linked to on ebay & he produced Crowned Double-headed Imperial eagles with shield on breast, holding orb & sceptre. Problem is I can't find your combination of both matching dies, however, yours falls within the right weight & size for his Anchor type Jettons.

That's great info :icon_thumleft:

Here's another of the same pictured (#24)- not much to add about it though-

http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album136?page=2

24 (ACE) Imperial Eagle / RECHEN PFENNIG. Anchor over star. 14mm

24_ACE_Eagle_Anchor_14mm.sized.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinfusion

coinfusion

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2011
wow you guys!! thank you all for your help!! i have been struggling with these two coins for days.

i really appreciate it!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinfusion said:
now heres a good question!! what do you think these coins would be priced at?

As its a mass produced cheap brass jetton, not very much, if it made $5 they over paid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions