How old is this snuff bottle?

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Anybody know anything about this bottle? How old? I found it while detecting an old home site. I can take other pictures too, but I have to post later because I'm not at home.

metaldetecting002.jpg

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Harry Pristis said:
I'd guess it dates to about 1940.

I guess it could. In the same area I found the 1902 Indian head penny, 1929s wheat penny and a 1912d wheatie. The harmonica dates from 1880 to 1910 I was told.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I have some just like that.. both pontil and not.. they came from a 1860s trash pit.. soo might be earlier..

MB

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Could be stupid question, but how do you tell?

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
TejasDigger said:

If the seem is thin and runs through the top of the bottle, it is machine made and would be made after the 1920's. If the seam is thick and stops below the top, the top was applied on to the handblown bottle and would date earlier than the 1920's. I'm sure I'll probably be corrected on specifics but that's a simple explaination. Hope it helps.

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
ringman said:
TejasDigger said:

If the seem is thin and runs through the top of the bottle, it is machine made and would be made after the 1920's. If the seam is thick and stops below the top, the top was applied on to the handblown bottle and would date earlier than the 1920's. I'm sure I'll probably be corrected on specifics but that's a simple explaination. Hope it helps.

Actually the automatic bottle machine was in use around '03 but applied tops continued for awhile after that.

HH,

root

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread