Found today in Bradenton FL ..1680-1700 2 1)2 inch cannonball....

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
IMG_2023-11-05-18-05-28-437.jpg
IMG_2023-11-05-17-52-31-257.jpg

Upvote 24

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been trying to figure out what type of "ordinance" would have a protruding steel plug hole as this has.
The actual metal composition looks more "white metal" (lead, aluminum, zinc) than steel.
Reasons for this statement is it's pitted, corroded, where the elements (salt water) has decayed it many places.

I should be asking you where/how did you come to the conclude this was a cannonball from that era?

If I had found it I would of thought a final off a post/fence/building architecture of some sorts.

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
I've been trying to figure out what type of "ordinance" would have a protruding steel plug hole as this has.
The actual metal composition looks more "white metal" (lead, aluminum, zinc) than steel.
Reasons for this statement is it's pitted, corroded, where the elements (salt water) has decayed it many places.

I should be asking you where/how did you come to the conclude this was a cannonball from that era?

If I had found it I would of thought a final off a post/fence/building architecture of some sorts.
Found one exactly like it on a war artillery site...but there's was iron..this one I believe is stone...the plug hole is exactly the same.....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found one exactly like it on a war artillery site...but there's was iron..this one I believe is stone...the plug hole is exactly the same.....
Maybe you can link the site.
This doesn't look like stone either.
Bit's are falling apart in the picture.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storageunit I am quite sure it is a canon ball. I am by FAR NO EXPERT on them though. To me it looks like part of the cano ball is ate away. Was it found in water ? If it was found in the water maybe someone put something in it to use it as a anchor ?
Here are a couple of canon shells i had found near Vicksburg Mississippi. Each one was probably 2 to three fioot deep. there was no fuse holder in either one. The parrot shell type was holding a fuse in it . We had to disarm it. When we did we wore Ear Plugs LOL Just kidding about the ear plugs. We drilled down through the rope fuse With a small hand bit. Wet it down then used a larger bit still in the fuse opening and then stuck a small tube in the hole and ran water in it flushing the powder out
Canon1.jpg
Canon2.jpg
CanonBall1.jpg
Canonball2.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe this is the one you have referenced and yes it kind of looks like the same.
But not the same either.
Question: Is the one that you found hollow?
Can you shine a light down into the hole and take a picture?
Also what is the weight of your ball?
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 7.09.22 AM.png

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
I believe this is the one you have referenced and yes it kind of looks like the same.
But not the same either.
View attachment 2113815
Found on land...about 7-8 inches down...not sure on the weight yet...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found on land...about 7-8 inches down...not sure on the weight yet...
It could be the lighting of the picture that gives that look.
Maybe take a few photos in natural lighting so there's no artificial flash or lighting distorting the colour.

Just a suggestion is to post it up on the "What is it" forum as there are very knowledgable members that know a lot about this subject.
@TheCannonballGuy

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
But not the same either.
View attachment 2113815
I got a light down and at the bottom of the hole it flares out alittle like a bowl...

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an interesting piece but definitely not a grenade, cannonball or related projectile. As already observed the pitting and oxidation suggest it is made of aluminum or zinc, metals which weren't available until over a century after your proposed date. The diameter is on the large side but still normal for an antique 1930s-40s ball gear shift knob, or it might be a spherical finial from something like a flagpole, but whatever it is it's unlikely to date to earlier than the 20th century.

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
It's an interesting piece but definitely not a grenade, cannonball or related projectile. As already observed the pitting and oxidation suggest it is made of aluminum or zinc, metals which weren't available until over a century after your proposed date. The diameter is on the large side but still normal for an antique 1930s-40s ball gear shift knob, or it might be a spherical finial from something like a flagpole, but whatever it is it's unlikely to date to earlier than the 20th century.
Not aluminum or zinc....it's exactly stone

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In southern Michigan..... We couldn't imagine.
Boss find

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023

It's exactly I believe granite..or iron stone...and the plug hole is where they would put black powder and a paper wick or some type of wick

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not aluminum or zinc....it's exactly stone
I bet you $10 that if you file through that oxide crust the unmistakable silvery/grey luster of metal will reveal itself in just a few moments. At a glance you might think these ancient projectiles of mine are "exactly stone" too, but they're in fact all made of lead. Chemical attack over many years of burial can do strange things to the appearance of metal, but I've seen enough long-buried pieces of old cast aluminum with pitting and surfaces just like that of your sphere to be confident in the assessment.
KIMG0524~2.JPG

OP
OP
S

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
I bet you $10 that if you file through that oxide crust the unmistakable silvery/grey luster of metal will reveal itself in just a few moments. At a glance you might think these ancient projectiles of mine are "exactly stone" too, but they're in fact all made of lead. Chemical attack over many years of burial can do strange things to the appearance of metal, but I've seen enough long-buried pieces of old cast aluminum with pitting and surfaces just like that of your sphere to be confident in the assessment.
View attachment 2113978
Lead is a soft material right?...

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is a soft material right?...
Yes of course, but besides providing an example of the superficial transformation of a metal after years of burial the physical properties of lead aren't relevant to your sphere. Why do you ask?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread