IMG_8775.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_9432.JPG
    IMG_9432.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_9433.JPG
    IMG_9433.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 796
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know deer shed in winter , as I am no expert by no means. I know about the rut and that's it. You sure have a lot of Big Bucks around there ::)

crazyjarhead said:
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know deer shed in winter , as I am no expert by no means. I know about the rut and that's it. You sure have a lot of Big Bucks around there ::)
We've seen them start shedding as early as December--right after the rut peaks, to as late as March. Every year is different.
Its so much fun for us to go out and find a shed right where we feed the deer---its like they're giving back to us for keeping them well fed ;D . And yes, we do have some Big Bucks around here ::) :D ...Hopefully all that corn and milo we've been feeding them will help them to grow even BIGGER next year :wink: .
Thanks crazyjarhead!!!

sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
We've seen them start shedding as early as December--right after the rut peaks, to as late as March. Every year is different.
Its so much fun for us to go out and find a shed right where we feed the deer---its like they're giving back to us for keeping them well fed ;D . And yes, we do have some Big Bucks around here ::) :D ...Hopefully all that corn and milo we've been feeding them will help them to grow even BIGGER next year :wink: .
Thanks crazyjarhead!!!

Not to be a smart@#$ but why do you feed the deer??

crazyjarhead said:
sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
Thanks crazyjarhead!!!

Just because we enjoy it---like most people enjoy feeding the birds. And it gives my daughter subjects for her photography. You can't imagine how many pictures of deer she has.
:hello:

sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
Thanks crazyjarhead!!!

Just because we enjoy it---like most people enjoy feeding the birds. And it gives my daughter subjects for her photography. You can't imagine how many pictures of deer she has.

Thanks. I bet that gets a little expensive ???

Nice sheds !!!

Always enjoy your pics, your daughter could make some "bucks" of her own with some of those :icon_thumright:

crazyjarhead said:
sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
sandcreek4 said:
crazyjarhead said:
Thanks crazyjarhead!!!

Thanks. I bet that gets a little expensive ???
Yes, it does get a little expensive, but its worth it. You can't imagine how beautiful it is to look out and see 20 or 30 deer feeding in the pasture.
NaturalJWL said:
Nice sheds !!!

Always enjoy your pics, your daughter could make some "bucks" of her own with some of those :icon_thumright:
Thanks NaturalJWL! My sister has an antiques and collectibles shop in Pawhuska and my daughter sells some of her pictures there.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures! :hello:

Thanks for sharing, do you make any crafts or things with the sheds?

Fossis...........

WTG SC.....I see all kind's of thing's in that shed ;D

Do you sell hunt's at your game farm. I noticed the high fence in some of your pics from a previous post. I've seen where people pay $10,000.00 to come in and shoot the big boy and go home proud.
Seems like a profitable business.
Here's the buck my wife shot this year, no high fence. Was taken here on our farm.
Also a Game camera shot from earlier in the season.

Hill

Attachments

• Vicki\'s buck 2010 005.jpg
    Vicki\'s buck 2010 005.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 892
  • october shots 099.jpg
    october shots 099.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 827
;D, Ok , you have some newbies here, show the "group" picture of sheds :headbang: You know, the ones you're gonna make a deer statue with. :wink: It IS very cool that you know these animals. shows a good eye for detail, and that's a good treasure hunting quality.

so good to see the sunshine,
naturegirl

You have to find those sheds pretty quick as the little animals will eat them for the minerals they contain. Nice picture Sand Creek. He will have some size on him next season. Our deer are still rutting here but it is winding down. Youth hunt this weekend then it closes. We are lucky to have almost a 4 month long season here.
Have you guys had any problems with the wild Hogs yet? The place we had in Oklahoma was over run :dontknow:
HH
TnMtns

fossis said:
Thanks for sharing, do you make any crafts or things with the sheds?

Fossis...........
I've got sheds hanging from the ceiling beams in the living room, hanging from my arrowhead frames, piled up on my flint bowls, hanging off the fence, wrapped around a lamp base, ::) and I just took a bunch to my mom so she could make a light fixture. We really need to start doing more with them, but I'm not too crafty.
Thanks Fossis!
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Now seriously, how many people can tell you what buck, an individual dropped horn came from?

To me, that is fascinating! :hello2:
That's probably why I love finding these sheds around here so much, Mike, because we can recognize the bucks they came off of. I picked that one up and brought it in a my daughter said "oh, that belongs to the basket rack 10 point!" and sure enough when we looked at the pictures, it was his.
Thanks Mike :hello: .
civilman1 said:
WTG SC.....I see all kind's of thing's in that shed ;D
Yes, I figured you would see some potential is that shed, civilman. I wish I was a carver like you! Those pieces you did were awesome---I loved the dolphins!
Hill Billy said:
Do you sell hunt's at your game farm. I noticed the high fence in some of your pics from a previous post. I've seen where people pay $10,000.00 to come in and shoot the big boy and go home proud.
Seems like a profitable business.
Here's the buck my wife shot this year, no high fence. Was taken here on our farm.
Also a Game camera shot from earlier in the season.

Hill
Actually that fence is for the bison we have on the Preserve where we live. The deer are free ranging--they go through that fence(they can find loose wires or low spots to go under or even sometimes over it!). The bucks we have all these pictures(and sheds from) stay in this area and come back year after year because they know we put out feed for them(during the winter months).

Tell your wife that was an awesome trophy buck she harvested, Hill Billy! My daughter loves to hunt [almost as much as she like to take pictures :wink: ].
Thank you for the comments!
naturegirl said:
;D, Ok , you have some newbies here, show the "group" picture of sheds :headbang: You know, the ones you're gonna make a deer statue with. :wink: It IS very cool that you know these animals. shows a good eye for detail, and that's a good treasure hunting quality.

so good to see the sunshine,
naturegirl
I finally had to thin some of my sheds out, because they were taking over the living room :-[ ::) ;D. (They do look pretty cool hanging from the beams in my living room, though.) I would love to have a deer statue made of sheds but I don't know where I'd put it!
Thanks Lisa!
TnMountains said:
You have to find those sheds pretty quick as the little animals will eat them for the minerals they contain. Nice picture Sand Creek. He will have some size on him next season. Our deer are still rutting here but it is winding down. Youth hunt this weekend then it closes. We are lucky to have almost a 4 month long season here.
Have you guys had any problems with the wild Hogs yet? The place we had in Oklahoma was over run :dontknow:
HH
TnMtns
Yes, we are having major trouble with the wild hogs......The guys on the Preserve are aggressively fighting them, but they multiply so fast! It seems like this last year they have really started to take over. Its open season on hogs around here, because the damage they do really affects the whole ecosystem. The cowboys have a couple of traps set for them but need to put out more! Here's a blueprint of a hog trap sent to us by Kenny Kellet(USDA Wildlife Services, OKC, Ok.). You can pass this on to anyone who might use it, TnMtns. Thanks for the comments!!

Attachments

• Hog Rooter blueprints 001 (505x650).jpg
    Hog Rooter blueprints 001 (505x650).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 859
  • Hog Rooter blueprints 002 (505x650).jpg
    Hog Rooter blueprints 002 (505x650).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • Hog Rooter enclosure photo 001 (468x650).jpg
    Hog Rooter enclosure photo 001 (468x650).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 839
Congrats on finding a nice shed.

They started trapping them a few years ago but gave up. They would trap, sweet feed them and semi domesticate the animal back before butchering it.
Now they chase them with helicopters shooting them with full auto rifles supposedly feeding the needy. I have a video of it somewhere. They move in large herds destroying everything in their paths. Stay safe and warm and as always enjoy seeing your pictures :thumbsup:

etrac007 said:
Congrats on finding a nice shed.
Thanks etrac007....I hope its just one of many.
TnMountains said:
They started trapping them a few years ago but gave up. They would trap, sweet feed them and semi domesticate the animal back before butchering it.
Now they chase them with helicopters shooting them with full auto rifles supposedly feeding the needy. I have a video of it somewhere. They move in large herds destroying everything in their paths. Stay safe and warm and as always enjoy seeing your pictures :thumbsup:
I saw that on the hunting channel where they were using helicopters to hunt hogs. You'd have to be a darn good shot to do that. I think the guy was shooting them with a shotgun---and he was knocking them down left and right.
Thanks for the comments, TnMtns, and you stay safe and warm, too. :hello:

You got some cool deer pics :icon_thumright:

Yep them hogs are vermin, got to bait them up and cull them wholesale.

~~Happy Hunting~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back