Dredge Jet Log size

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm attempting to piece together a smaller 2.5-inch dredge with a power jet. I go to Keene's website, where they offer 2 separate jet log sizes for a 2.5-in. They have it with a 1.25-in jet log, as well as a 1.5-in. What is the difference in performance between these two otherwise identical parts?
I am using the Honda GX200 6.5hp motor with Keene p180 pump. I am aware this is well above the necessary power required in a perfect scenario.
I'm more concerned about whether the larger jet log provides better suction or not.

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have Emailed Keene asking for answers, but I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with experience while I eagerly await their response. I will, of course, post their response here, so others might benefit as well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think either one would work fine for your application with the eng. pump setup you are using . Because your using the bigger eng / pump setup you won't need to be running anywhere all out with this eng./pump. Years back I had a lot of questions and talked to Pat Keene and he helped me out a lot! :coffee2:

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heard back from Mark Keene at Keene Engineering. His email was as follows.
"The 1.5" jet log would be a better choice with the P180 pump. The internal orifice inside the jet log is larger and will flow more water and provide better suction. A 2" jet log would be even better; however, it will push too much water through the sluice box and affect the gold recovery. "
From this I gather there is a diminishing return on jet log sizing, and 2" is likely the max doable for a 2-1/2" dredge. I also take from this that the larger the jet log (provided adequate pressure is maintained), the better the suction. I'll likely purchase the 1.5" power jet for now, but I'll look at having a custom one fabricated for larger in the future.

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
why not use that setup to run a 4”
Short anwser, Sluice size. 3" is about as big as my box can handle water-wise with
the size of gold I'm finding in my area. Also I am dredging into a high banker and lose pressure and mobility because of that. However, the reduction in water/pressure required for a 2-1/2" will allow me to maintain awesome suction but also operate my spray bars. I rarely go out alone and hate being idle when someone else is running the dredge, so this will also allow me to make up for any lost production from the size reduction.

Attachments

• high banker 2.jpeg
    high banker 2.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 26
  • high banker 1.jpeg
    high banker 1.jpeg
    902.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
highbanker hoppers are for shovel feeding. If you want to dredge send the material straight to the sluice you will have better recovery.
I'll be honest; I don't have enough experience to have a credible argument for you. However, this hopper has expanded metal mesh on top of miner's moss on top of V matting. I use this as an indicator mat I can pull out and check without completely shutting down. this allows me to check that I am indeed still on the gold without having to do a whole cleanup. It's also my first gold catch, and I am reluctant to part with it.

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking set up ! and I like the addition of the wheels ! These make for a EZer moving of the hoses and the other items you'll need to get the job done ! :coffee2: :icon_thumleft:
For sure, big wheels are a huge help. I'm in Alaska and have to haul this thing through some rugged terrain. They also detach, just like the leveling legs. Paul Jarvis from Adventures in Gold Prospecting built this for me, and he accounted for things I never would've considered on my own.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So to explain why highbankers make terrible dredge sluices. You have to bring the material up to the height of the hopper it’s unnecessary pump power. When the slurry from the dredge hose hits the hopper any chance of hose classification is gone. Material is exposed to a bunch of aeration the fines like riding bubbles. Having the material flow from a dredge hose hit a wall creates back pressure, robs suction power/plug ups. Get a flare type header for your sluice.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
So to explain why highbankers make terrible dredge sluices. You have to bring the material up to the height of the hopper it’s unnecessary pump power. When the slurry from the dredge hose hits the hopper any chance of hose classification is gone. Material is exposed to a bunch of aeration the fines like riding bubbles. Having the material flow from a dredge hose hit a wall creates back pressure, robs suction power/plug ups. Get a flare type header for your sluice.
So true ! BUT you gotta use what ever you can while your still able to do so ! :coffee2:

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the information, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to drill out the back and mount a connection to it like the Royal High Bankers use, in which case I may as well use an actual dredge. Bedrock in my area is pretty deep, and it is not likely that I'll be able to reach it in a day running anything shy of a 4in. Lots of Gold-bearing flood Gravels and huge glacial heaves in my area, alongside the rules up here about mining, kinda make a high banker a better choice.
Here, we have a set of rules for Recreational Mining. This is mining on small scale 16HP motors or less, No private Claim. If it's Below the Ordinary High Water Line, it's part of the river. If it is part of the river, the runoff can run directly back into the river. There is no disturbing Natural foliage, So there is no digging outside the OHWL. That last part may seem counterproductive to running a high banker, but the Giant Flood Heaves have plenty to work with, refresh every year, and are easier to shovel than dredge.
I still want the dredge set up, as it is still a workhorse and gets what a shovel can't, but I don't want it to be the sole method of collection.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the information, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to drill out the back and mount a connection to it like the Royal High Bankers use, in which case I may as well use an actual dredge. Bedrock in my area is pretty deep, and it is not likely that I'll be able to reach it in a day running anything shy of a 4in. Lots of Gold-bearing flood Gravels and huge glacial heaves in my area, alongside the rules up here about mining, kinda make a high banker a better choice.
Here, we have a set of rules for Recreational Mining. This is mining on small scale 16HP motors or less, No private Claim. If it's Below the Ordinary High Water Line, it's part of the river. If it is part of the river, the runoff can run directly back into the river. There is no disturbing Natural foliage, So there is no digging outside the OHWL. That last part may seem counterproductive to running a high banker, but the Giant Flood Heaves have plenty to work with, refresh every year, and are easier to shovel than dredge.
I still want the dredge set up, as it is still a workhorse and gets what a shovel can't, but I don't want it to be the sole method of collection.
Dredges smaller than 4” are mainly good for cleaning bedrock once you reach it with a pick n shovel.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OR like N-Lionberger said AND to get a hole started for your 4 inch dredge ! :icon_thumleft:
Sounds like the dredge is used mostly to clean up the very bottom.

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like the dredge is used mostly to clean up the very bottom.
That is correct. I'm still pretty new to the hobby and learning the intricacies before I invest too much money on this without the knowledge or experience to make it worth it. I definitely plan to upgrade to a big boy someday, but I have quite a bit to learn before then. Pair that with Most streams and rivers in my area shutting down for 9-10 months out of the year for salmon spawning puts a hamper on any hands-on learning, especially for anything bigger than a 4". If you're willing to trek a few miles into the mountains and beat your own trails, you can dredge as much as you physically able (super cold glacier water) year-round. I don't know if you've ever watched the show "Gold Fever" with Tom massie "JR" i think... It's one of the last 2-3 seasons where he heads to Independence Mine. Anyway, that's around the area of one of the Public Mining Areas that allow year-round Dredging Because of its distance from the mouth. I bring that up because that's a pretty mild look at what that area actually looks like during winter. its pretty sketchy for mining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread