bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the best option for a metal detector that can be used on a beach and also used underwater in lakes. Will be used occasionally at ocean beaches but mostly at lake beaches and underwater swimming holes. Ive been thinking about the Garrett Sea Hunter but thought i would ask on here to see what opinions others may have

thanks,

Mike

Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep are you diving? Do you want discrimination?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Deus 2......Has a 5 year warranty.......It's Been out a few years and only seen a couple that had water issues. Could have been user caused. New tech so be prepared. Lite weight

You don't want a PI as your main machine.

I would recommend the Minelab Excalibur but with a One year warranty .. poor quality cables. Old Tech, but does get the job done well. Heavy

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Deus 2......Has a 5 year warranty.......It's Been out a few years and only seen a couple that had water issues. Could have been user caused. New tech so be prepared. Lite weight

You don't want a PI as your main machine.

I would recommend the Minelab Excalibur but with a One year warranty .. poor quality cables. Old Tech, but does get the job done well. Heavy
Thank you for the info, I will look into the Deus 2. 👍🏼 Appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion!

Reactions: OBN

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the D2 and the Excal 11... Both good machines in their own way.. I really like my D2

Lightweight, fast, waterproof.. and a really well built unit.. The excal has been a solid performer... But for everyday use, I would not use it.. Too heavy and slow by comparison.

If you had to choose only one, go for the D2

Micheal

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
How deep are you diving? Do you want discrimination?
I would be diving around 50 feet at the deepest. I am not really worried about discrimination since i would rather just dig any hit so to try not to miss small things. I do like to go to the ocean every once in a while so that is why i was thinking a pulse induction machine. I have noticed some use pulse induction when they lake dive and work the popular beaches along the lake also and just figured that they are also probably digging every target they have a hit on. I do like the idea of the Deus that OBN recommended :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
I have both the D2 and the Excal 11... Both good machines in their own way.. I really like my D2

Lightweight, fast, waterproof.. and a really well built unit.. The excal has been a solid performer... But for everyday use, I would not use it.. Too heavy and slow by comparison.

If you had to choose only one, go for the D2

Micheal
Thanks Michael....I am liking what i see on the Deus so far. I might end up going that route since the majority of my trips will be lakes/swimming holes and the beach areas frequented by people. Saltwater hunts would not be frequent so that would not be a huge factor in choosing a machine.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be diving around 50 feet at the deepest. I am not really worried about discrimination since i would rather just dig any hit so to try not to miss small things. I do like to go to the ocean every once in a while so that is why i was thinking a pulse induction machine. I have noticed some use pulse induction when they lake dive and work the popular beaches along the lake also and just figured that they are also probably digging every target they have a hit on. I do like the idea of the Deus that OBN recommended :thumbsup:
With today's improvements in VLF simultaneous multi-frequency machines, I don't see much advantage in using a PI detector. For your hunting, if it's mainly in the water, I'd go with the Excalibur. Weight isn't much of an issue there and it's designed for underwater use. With lots of coil options depth and separation is not an problem. Same with processor speed. You can't swing it fast enough underwater to have any masking problem. The Deus 2 can theoretically go that deep, although I don't anyone who has taken it to 50ft. It's very light and works fine in shallow water. Not much in coil choices and the Mickey Mouse antenna system is it's main drawback (along with it's goofy menu system). I'm not a fan of machines with no depth meter either. You might also look at the Fisher CZ21 too. Old tech, but, a good dive machine. There really isn't much in the way of new PI machines lately. I'm not a fan of the Sea Hunter. The only other new PI machines for diving would be the ones by J.W. Fishers and Aquascan. Both expensive, and IMO, unnecessary for most detectorists. If you land hunt too, the Deus 2 gets a few more points in it's favor.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the best option for a metal detector that can be used on a beach and also used underwater in lakes. Will be used occasionally at ocean beaches but mostly at lake beaches and underwater swimming holes. Ive been thinking about the Garrett Sea Hunter but thought i would ask on here to see what opinions others may have

thanks,

Mike
Also consider the Nokta Macro Simplex as a versatile, cheaper machine,
that is (I feel) a mid-level machine in performance....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also consider the Nokta Macro Simplex as a versatile, cheaper machine,
that is (I feel) a mid-level machine in performance....
As I just mentioned, the Simplex is not a good salt water machine being only a single frequency, and it's only rated to 16ft, so, diving deeper is out of the question.

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
With today's improvements in VLF simultaneous multi-frequency machines, I don't see much advantage in using a PI detector. For your hunting, if it's mainly in the water, I'd go with the Excalibur. Weight isn't much of an issue there and it's designed for underwater use. With lots of coil options depth and separation is not a problem. Same with processor speed. You can't swing it fast enough underwater to have any masking problem. The Deus 2 can theoretically go that deep, although I don't anyone who has taken it to 50ft. It's very light and works fine in shallow water. Not much in coil choices and the Mickey Mouse antenna system is its main drawback (along with its goofy menu system). I'm not a fan of machines with no depth meter either. You might also look at the Fisher CZ21 too. Old tech, but, a good dive machine. There really isn't much in the way of new PI machines lately. I'm not a fan of the Sea Hunter. The only other new PI machines for diving would be the ones by J.W. Fishers and Aquascan. Both expensive, and IMO, unnecessary for most detectorists. If you land hunt too, the Deus 2 gets a few more points in it's favor.
Thank you for all the info! Very helpful👍🏼 I am leaning towards the Deus II from research. Seems to be what I am wanting in a detector!

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
With your stated use and criteria, the Deus II would be my strong recommendation for all the reasons mentioned above.
I’ve owned and used the Excal, CTX, Equinox, Vanquish and other Garrett machines…none compare to the Deus II for salt water, fresh water and land use. Their reliability and performance is unmatched in my view.

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
With your stated use and criteria, the Deus II would be my strong recommendation for all the reasons mentioned above.
I’ve owned and used the Excal, CTX, Equinox, Vanquish and other Garrett machines…none compare to the Deus II for salt water, fresh water and land use. Their reliability and performance is unmatched in my view.
Thank you! I think that is going to be the one i order. I am still watching videos on it since it looks like new technology and i want to have an idea on what im getting into beforehand. I appreciate all of you that have submitted input. It has really helped in reaching a decision! Hope you have a great day.

Mike

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
I purchased the D2 for its incredible improvements in tech and my goal was to re-work some of the sites hunted over the past 40 years. What a beautiful machine. I have some issues hearing like I once did and the U/W headset is awesome. On land I have found many overlooked coins from my old Spectrums and Sea Hunter. I strongly recommend you look into the D2.
I know it’s pricey but that will fade once you start using.

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
I purchased the D2 for its incredible improvements in tech and my goal was to re-work some of the sites hunted over the past 40 years. What a beautiful machine. I have some issues hearing like I once did and the U/W headset is awesome. On land I have found many overlooked coins from my old Spectrums and Sea Hunter. I strongly recommend you look into the D2.
I know it’s pricey but that will fade once you start using.
From everything i have been reading and posts from members, it sounds like the Deus 2 is the best machine for what i am wanting. Thank you for your reply. Hope you had a great holiday season.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions