๐Ÿ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Zinc Axe Head?

Jeff Foster

Greenie
Sep 10, 2023
Found this axe head about a year ago and just recently decided to maybe try and restore it for something to do. Surprisingly however after removing a boat load of rust, it seems abnormally shiny, I'm no metal expert but I'd say to shiny for carbon steel. Only metal I could find that rusts like steel and is very reflective is Zinc, however I've never heard of zinc axe heads. The picture where it looks blue I took to show its reflecting my cloths even without it being polished. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20231119_205244.jpg
    20231119_205244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 20231119_205357.jpg
    20231119_205357.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
It looks like iron or low grade steel, Zinc would not make a very good axe.
You'd be correct, zinc would make a terrible axe lol that's why its so weird. Just to try and confirm my suspicions I did a scratch test to see if I can figure out its hardness and I can definitely confirm that its not iron or steel as a pair of scissors where easily able to scratch it.

Upvote 0
You could take it to a machine shop or any shop that has a metal tester and they could check it and read it for you

Upvote 0
You could take it to a machine shop or any shop that has a metal tester and they could check it and read it for you
Great recommendation, I'll look around and see if I can find something like that in my area. If it is zinc then the next question would be why lol given its reflective silver quality I can only assume for decorative purposes.

Upvote 1
You'd be correct, zinc would make a terrible axe lol that's why its so weird. Just to try and confirm my suspicions I did a scratch test to see if I can figure out its hardness and I can definitely confirm that its not iron or steel as a pair of scissors where easily able to scratch it.
Not iron or steel? :dontknow: Carbon steel scratches very easily. What does a magnet test show?

Upvote 0
Great recommendation, I'll look around and see if I can find something like that in my area. If it is zinc then the next question would be why lol given its reflective silver quality I can only assume for decorative purposes.
Take a magnet test it, if it sticks then you can be assured it's iron.
It looks like snow old rusty pitted axe that has had its rust removed.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back