You gotta see this!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with DM for a full day of hunting. We started hitting the palces which have been hunted and finished the day on a brand new site. In addition to what you see I dug a ton of buttons, a handful of musketballs and other assorted trinkets.

In the first pic is the largest coin I have ever seen. It is a 2 penny cartwheel, 1797. I didn't even realize that it was the 2 penny until we got back to DM's place and we compared it to DM's 1 penny cartwheel. This coin is massive and really thick too. DM said it is the 1st he has seen dug over here...a rare find. It actually looks much better in person!

In the second pic is a handful of copper. 1797 2 penny Cartwheel, 1799 half penny Britannia, 1790's undated Hibernicus half penny token, 1841 Canada token, 1857 PEI token, 1861 Nova Scotia half penny, 1908 LC and two crustys.

In the third pic is a ring brooch and a small gold locket. When I first saw the ring brooch I thought it was a silver trade brooch but it is alas copper. It's a weird day when gold is low on the scale for finds.

Attachments

• copper big.jpg
    copper big.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 895
  • copper group.jpg
    copper group.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 895
  • brooch and gold.jpg
    brooch and gold.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 895
Upvote 0
Wow!
Four or five of those in your pocket and you better hope you didn't forget your suspenders!

WTG

200 years ago, I'm sure it was danged hard to lose a cartwheel! That coin was HUGE--and I don't think I've ever seen a dug one before. Evidently they made them into snuff boxes by cutting them and adding hinges.

Those are some Excellent finds.

-Buckleboy

Dude. You had an awesome hunt!! :o :o :o I still wouldnt mind seeing pics of the buttons and musket balls. Congrats man!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Romeo.....I dont think I would leave the house back then with no more than a 2 penny in each pocket...Ouch!!! those thing's are huge.What a group of find's.....Congrat's to Ya!!!!!

I've dug a few 1 penny Cartwheel's but never a 2. Its in good shape too :)

It weighed 2oz when new. As they were worth their weight in copper (1oz was a penny). However, they were not popular for obivious reasons & were often used as kitchen weights.

You would know if you dropped that on you open toed sandles :D

They were also the first British steam-pressed coins.

Very awesome hunt and finds!!
HH
Baggins

WoW - nice!

HH

That is sweet!!

Wow! Awesome finds there, I really like that brooch too!

Steve

WHAT A DAY....... LOOKS LIKE YOU FOUND A HOT NEW SITE. I HAD THE PLEASURE OF HOLDING ONE OF THOSE CARTWHEEL CENTS, AND THEY ARE HUGE.........PACO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back