Yo ho ho from SW Fla.

Jun 29, 2008
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Underwater PI
New to treasure hunting - sort of. I live as far south on the Gulf Coast of Florida as you can get before jumping the pond to Key West. Lot's of diving and boating and old ship wrecks to explore. Never really was into treasure hunting until a funny incident diving for sharks teeth a little while ago. I was diving a reef and collecting shark teeth - the big Megs the size of your hand - when i came across a round, hinged cover of something with some engraving. I scraped the barnacles off with my dive knive which revealed some Mother of Pearl looking stuff on the inside. I was all excited and showed my dive buddy. Once we surfaced and came ashore that's all we talked about - a compass cover, etc., off of some old wreck. Once we cleaned it up and i got a good look at the engraving, the initials were CG. My buddy died laughing - it was a Cover Girl Compact cover. It sits in my office now - proudly displayed as my first ever treasure find - next to a few spanish coins.

Don't have a picture to post - files too big.

Found a pic from one of my recent shark tooth dives. Not necessarily treasure, but if any one is interested Venice, Florida (Exit 193 on I-75) has some reefs about 100-200 yards off shore. An easy shore dive to the small reefs and smaller teeth, good swim to the larger reefs and larger teeth. We collect about 300 quarter sized shark teeth on each dive. We have a few sweet spots where the larger Meg teeth can be found. Visiability is usually around 6-10 ft on a good day. During rainy season viz is only around 1-2 feet. But we are always finding shark teeth, prehistoric bones, teeth, etc.

Attachments

• Treasure.JPG
    Treasure.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 573
Welcome to TNet...interesting dive story...great pic, thanks for sharing it with us. :icon_sunny:

Welcome to Mugs. I like the story! I also like finding shark teeth.

Pepper, we're vitually neighbors. I grew up in Valdosta and went to college at FSU and then worked in Tally for 10 years before moving south. If you like looking for sharks teeth, there are some good places in your area to look for fossils in caves and old stream beds. Down our way you need to know how to scuba, but you can find the big monster teeth and other prehistoric stuff just offshore from Gaspirilla Island north to Anna Marie Island. The Peace River is also a good place to fossil hunt in the dry season.

Great story, great pic of you too. WelcomeSign2.gif

:wink: RR

Attachments

• WelcomeSign2.gif
    WelcomeSign2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 360
Re: Welcome, neighbor

siz3petite said:
:icon_sunny: I'm in S/W Florida too! :icon_sunny:

SW Florida - the best place to be. Now don't be findin' my treasure before me. Did some metal detecting out on Sanibel this past weekend after July 4. All i found was Corona bottle camps, a metal cross, and 65 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back