Yet another FLAT BUTTON backmark: "Best Quality" /with Eagle logo (???)

Kevin B.

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a thread regarding button backmarks that was started in January. I considered just posting to that thread but I didn't want to disrespect the Original Poster by hijacking his thread with my stuff. I found a flat button in a yard where there has been dug over a hundred Civil War Union bullets of various types. Mainly...58 cal Minie's, 52 cal Sharpos Carbine, 69 cal Minie's, and a few round balls. And then this button comes along. I am reluctant to say that it is of Civil War vintage (Union troops occupied my Tennessee town in 1862.....in the spring). There is evidence of an old home here, possibly from that same period. There are pieces of red brick and square nails in this vacant lot....remnants of a dwelling of some sort, and the pieces of brick and square nails go down several inches. But that doesn't really tell me anything about this button. It could have belonged to an ocupant of the house. I remembe, in that other thread about Flat Buttons, that the button could provide clues as to WHERE it was made. Whether London England, or here in the States. Then mention was made of an Eagle being in the backmark. I assume, for that inference, that an Eagle being in the backmark would indicate that the button was made here in the US. What I really wonder about, is if it is possible to get some kind of date (within a decade or so) of when this button would have been manufactured and/or in use. By the way, hello to everyone. This is my first post but I have been a lurker and gleaned alot of good information here regarding this obsession that we love so much. And I appreciate all of that information.
100_0062_zps6d90dfa7.jpg

100_0063_zpsb3ed74fa.jpg

there are better button people out here than me but it looks like an ealier button. But def a civilian one. Eagle on the back proves that. Might be wrong but im thinking pre-civil war

Upvote 0
The presence of an eagle in a raised-lettering "Quality" backmark on a brass-1-piece flatbutton indicates it is a civilian-clothing button manufactured sometime between 1815 and the 1830s.

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard. That is a cool button!

Upvote 0
Thanks y'all, for the ID and for the welcome!!! I wish the shanks would stay in nice shape but I guess that might be part of the reason that they are lost. Anyway, I sure do appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back