Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Digs - Cool Hard Times token

Yesterday I returned to a cellar hole that I hunted earlier this sping. On my first visit I found several tombac and early flat buttons along with some shoe buckle frags, mid 1800s suspender buckles and a 1775 half real. These relics indicate an occupation period from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s. The immediate vicinity of the cellar hole is very overgrown right now, but an adjacent pasture had been mowed recently and was huntable, although there was a lot of thick stubble and high grass, which really limited the ground I could cover. Despite this I was still able to recover a small ball button, a small flat button, a broken tombac, a broken suspender buckle, two musketballs, a 1929 Buffalo nickel, a neat R & W Robinsons hard times token. I have included pictures of a non dug example since mine is difficult to read in some places.

Attachments

• HT Token in Dirt.jpg
    HT Token in Dirt.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 9-9-12 Dirty.jpg
    9-9-12 Dirty.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 9-9-12 Clean.jpg
    9-9-12 Clean.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 118
  • HT Token - Front.jpg
    HT Token - Front.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 114
  • HT Token - Back.jpg
    HT Token - Back.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Token - Front.jpeg
    Token - Front.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Token - Back.jpeg
    Token - Back.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 3
I dug that same token in my first year of detecting in NJ! Someone holed it, but it's a very cool hard times token! Mine was pretty toasted too, but someone was able to ID it for me. Congrats!!

Last edited:
Great finds! That is an Awesome Token! Way to go!

I am unlikely to dig a token like that in Tennessee Steve!! Another great hunt for you and good luck when you return in there in late Fall. HH, Quindy.

That is a killer token :headbang: Keep it going! If u get a chance to watch the new video on the gold thread, I found my first token so far in Missouri today... Not sure if its period or not??? A.E.K. Good for 1 Loaf :laughing7:

Another stellar hunt. Sweet HTT.

That token is cool cleaned up well and the nickel is also good dig

Steve, I love seeing the Hard Times tokens being found, I remember my first one I found, I thought I found another NJ copper, it had a Plow on it, but no, it was not a NJ copper but a HT token from Walsh's General Store in NY, I found another one about two years ago.
I tried to ID your variety from the photos, but not sure but it looks like a HT#154 according to Rulaw book.

That is the coolest token I have seen in a long time!:occasion14: ...also a very appropriate token for a relic hunter who enjoys finding buttons!!

Keith

Steve, I love seeing the Hard Times tokens being found, I remember my first one I found, I thought I found another NJ copper, it had a Plow on it, but no, it was not a NJ copper but a HT token from Walsh's General Store in NY, I found another one about two years ago.
I tried to ID your variety from the photos, but not sure but it looks like a HT#154 according to Rulaw book.

HT #154 is close enough for me. I actually though I had a large cent when I found it. After wiping some dirt off, I was thinking either a Hard Times token or a Canadian Bank token. In this case, I think it's a little cooler than another toasted Matron Head LC :)

That is the coolest token I have seen in a long time!:occasion14: ...also a very appropriate token for a relic hunter who enjoys finding buttons!!

Keith

Keith, I was thinking the same thing. Ironic that this token represents a button manufacturer who's buttons we are seeking.
Now I need to find a few of those "finest military, naval, and sporting buttons". I will even take the "plain flat buttons" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back