Yesterdays dig.. Little Masonic emblem Dog. Updated

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I think I'm still on a roll here in Va. Wanting to get out yesterday before the rain, me and my hunting partner hit a old familiar spot. The evening was winding down and he had one last good target so I told him to wait while I dug my last good signal. Well out came this little lead figure. So I put it in my pocket and called it a day. Well I couldn't shake the fact that I think I have seen one recently. So I did some looking around and found it. Mine is just like the one that was sold at Sgt. Rikers. Heres the like and the pics of mine. http://sgtriker.com/carvedbullets.htm Its 5 down on the page. The bullet in the pic is for size reference. Also if anyone knows anything else I would love to know about it.

Thanks for looking
ynp
Update.. Well not much of a up date. I showed the dog to the gentleman who sold the one for sale in the link. And his response was " Oh you bought the one off line?" Well I told him about the camp I found it in and he honestly could not believe it. He is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to CW stuff and he said these are the only 2 he has ever seen or heard of. Go figure. So thats about all the new info I got. Again if any one has seen any thing like this regarding the Masons I would love to know. I will also post this in the what is is forum.

Attachments

• Masonic Dog.JPG
    Masonic Dog.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 561
  • Masonic Dog 2.JPG
    Masonic Dog 2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0
Re: Yesterdays dig.. Little Masonic emblem Dog

I hate to break this news to SgtRiker or you, but if there are two identical pieces with two identical masonic emblems on them, this is no carved bullet. It is likely mid-century, made for an unknown purpose in a mould of some sort.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
I hate to break this news to SgtRiker or you, but if there are two identical pieces with two identical masonic emblems on them, this is no carved bullet. It is likely mid-century, made for an unknown purpose in a mould of some sort.

Yeah, I agree that its not a carved bullet. But I do believe it to be CW era. This piece was found in a area very much the same as where he described where his was found. I believe he has never seen another. Until now!

that is an awesome dig!....I see in the link you posted it sold for $450 bucks!!!!

ynpto804 said:
BuckleBoy said:

Yeah, I agree that its not a carved bullet. But I do believe it to be CW era. This piece was found in a area very much the same as where he described where his was found. I believe he has never seen another. Until now!

I agree with you that it is CW era. And probably a scarce item to dig. As to what it is or what it was for.... :dontknow:

the thing that gets me is he got $450 for his.....think if you sold it you would get that? probably not and I bet if the buyer saw yours he would slap himself. Still a great find!

Nirros said:
the thing that gets me is he got $450 for his.....think if you sold it you would get that? probably not and I bet if the buyer saw yours he would slap himself. Still a great find!

I think if you hold on to a apple seed long enough you could get what ever you want for it. I didnt use the link for a price reference only as a example as I could find no others. With this said I think it is cool and important to understand the value(historical or monetary) of a item. I am going to talk to the shop owner about the item on Tuesday. I keep everyone informed if interested.

Fantastic find, but it's a shame that the first one was sold as a carved bullet.
Not diminishing your find at all, never seen a Masonic dog.
Carl

Sgt. Riker Should be notified, if only for future reference.

What is it with dogs and civil war sites?

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 235
  • img_3070.jpg
    img_3070.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 231

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back