Yesterdays + day previous added - 2 king George 1/2d's & eagle watch winder + buckles

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterdays + day previous added - 2 king George 1/2d's & eagle watch winder + buckles

Wife and I rode around for over an hour but most fields now planted in corn or overgrown w/ grass & weeds. Could not get up w/ the owner at the one promising spot we did find. But at least we learned who owns the land. Lots of it. Good news is I got permission from his dad 20 years ago for another field they own but sadly he's passed away now. So we ended up back on a spot we've beaten hard. Its a large field and we concentrated on the areas far away from the main site. 3 or 4 trips ago I managed the broken end of an early buckle here and in one hole were the 3 remaining parts. Always nice to complete a relic especially a buckle. Got a nice little early asymmetrical type buckle too. The chunk of cooking pot came from a full 2 feet down. Large clam and oyster shells, early crockery chunks and charred soil began to come up so looks like I found a trash pit. We got a couple bit bosses, buttons and musket balls and 2 king George II halfpennies, a thimble & drawer handle. My wife's 1731 halfpenny is excellent. She also got the beautiful Georgian watch winder handle w/ the eagle and doves - or whatever those birds are. This could very well be the last trip of the season. No video due to heavy wind on both trips. Yesterday we had 25 mph winds out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.16.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.16.18 PM.png
    847 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.16.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.16.31 PM.png
    721.8 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 17
You sure know how to metal detect! Admirable!

I like that watch winder! Nice diggins

2 cropped pics of the winder from her iphone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.42.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.42.17 PM.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.43.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.43.06 PM.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Killer hunt man :occasion14: Your wife's KG is pretty amazing... Love the contrast of the patina and the dirt in the low lying areas. I like that kettle base too. That'd look good preserved and stuck in a display to fill with stuff. Really enjoying your posts and glad you're back man. Cant wait for the next one.

Nice assortment of early finds. I love the buckles and it's super cool you found all of the pieces to that one

I'd call that a good day in the field :thumbsup: Your wife did well with the watch winder and the pretty KG.

I have heard these little buckles are spur buckles. I have one just like it and I've seen several others posted.

You sure know how to metal detect! Admirable!

Well thank you. I dont like to ride around. Instead I try to do lots of presearch using old maps and google etc. So having the game plan when we hit the road leaves more time to swing. I've been with guys that ride around all day long never giving themselves a chance to find anything. In the end, our success comes from searching so better to get that coil to the ground asap. :occasion14:

Killer hunt man :occasion14: Your wife's KG is pretty amazing... Love the contrast of the patina and the dirt in the low lying areas. I like that kettle base too. That'd look good preserved and stuck in a display to fill with stuff. Really enjoying your posts and glad you're back man. Cant wait for the next one.
I'm going to get that base cooking soon. Its the biggest chunk I've found from one. When I was digging the pit I ran over the dirt w/ the coil and was plucking out tiny lead balls, smaller than BB's. I guess that was likely the bird shot of the colonial days? The stuff was 2 feet down but I have to talk to the farmer and get the ok before I really start digging up the field like that. There was still iron down there when we had to leave so I just covered it over for now.

Nice assortment of early finds. I love the buckles and it's super cool you found all of the pieces to that one
Indeed. Its only the 2nd of the type for me. Oddly, both complete and assembled from pieces.

I'd call that a good day in the field :thumbsup: Your wife did well with the watch winder and the pretty KG.

I have heard these little buckles are spur buckles. I have one just like it and I've seen several others posted.

This site is one of the richest for finds we've ever hunted. I know we must have made 50 trips here total over the last 12+ years. Obviously loads of activity.

Re: the buckle - That sounds about right to me. I found another, even smaller one earlier in the year - on another site. Both with the tinned look.

Last edited:
Gary - did you separately find the 4 pieces to that nice spectacle buckle and then proved they all belonged to the same buckle? Awesome job if that's the case.

Gary - did you separately find the 4 pieces to that nice spectacle buckle and then proved they all belonged to the same buckle? Awesome job if that's the case.
Bill, I did. About 3 or 4 trips ago I found the 1st piece which is shown in a photo from this post here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...800/540356-recent-finds-old-standby-site.html

Then I got the 3 remaining pieces in the same hole on this last 2 day hunt. I wouldnt say I can prove they are from the same buckle but they certainly all came from the same remote valley area between the hills. Same place those 2 cut silvers came from there in the photos.

Luv the winder!!!!!! CONGRATZ....

Hi, Extraordinary , copper coins of the german puppet king of the british protestant ascendancy and the American colonies that use catholic spainish silver. Very different TP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back