Yesterday short hunt at early 1700 homesite.

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours yesterday before the rains came. No close place to park, so it's a long walk to the spot in the woods where a cellar hole is.

Along the trail there, I found a whole pocket watch! I'm only use to finding parts. Not very deep so I knew it was more recent. Appears to be self winding. Probably dropped from a hunter. God know the woods here are full of bullets shotgun shells.

On top are two Trefid pewter spoon bowls. One found with the handle part close by.

Cast pewter button common at the early sites here. But no designs on this one.

Near the pewter button I found this delicate chain with little barrels. Much of original Gold leaf still showing on the chain and ribbed barrels. Never seen anything like it. Bracelet of some sort I guess. Buried down deep, thought for sure it was going to be a button. Have found fur trading bling out here before. Google image search was of no help.

Last item is a flattened Latten spoon bowl remains. Stamp shows what looks like a hour glass so I hope to find the maker. Weird part was it rang very high and is shiny silver. Looking down my deep hole I thought for sure it was a Spanish 8 reales. I like finding Latten spoons but would have preferred a Spanish reales. It's not silver either.

Thanks for looking! Bill

Attachments

• sat morning hunt march 2.jpg
    sat morning hunt march 2.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pocket watch.jpg
    pocket watch.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 32
  • pocket watch back.jpg
    pocket watch back.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 33
  • possible bracelet.jpg
    possible bracelet.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 32
  • latten spoon bowl.jpg
    latten spoon bowl.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 9
Nice recoveries Cape Hunter
Congratulations

Nice mix of recoveries, and certainly different eras.
I agree the pocket watch isn't too old, and a lower end value (cheap works)
The "barrel link" chain is most interesting, never have seen those type of link designs before-cool recovery,

I see a lot of scratched pattern design on the Latter spoon-early game of X&Os?
Could of been a land (lots) grant map grid reference :dontknow:

Nice mix of recoveries, and certainly different eras.
I agree the pocket watch isn't too old, and a lower end value (cheap works)
The "barrel link" chain is most interesting, never have seen those type of link designs before-cool recovery,

I see a lot of scratched pattern design on the Latter spoon-early game of X&Os?
Could of been a land (lots) grant map grid reference :dontknow:
I guess it would be a very small game board using a flattened spoon bowl. The pattern is very tight in some spots. But you now have me thinking it must have been a purpose. I have found other with cross hatching. I know they were valuable. They were often listed singularly in wills. Folks might have scratched them in patterns that would identify their spoon or made them unappealing to steal lol. You would think initials would have been better though.

Got out for a few hours yesterday before the rains came. No close place to park, so it's a long walk to the spot in the woods where a cellar hole is.

Along the trail there, I found a whole pocket watch! I'm only use to finding parts. Not very deep so I knew it was more recent. Appears to be self winding. Probably dropped from a hunter. God know the woods here are full of bullets shotgun shells.

On top are two Trefid pewter spoon bowls. One found with the handle part close by.

Cast pewter button common at the early sites here. But no designs on this one.

Near the pewter button I found this delicate chain with little barrels. Much of original Gold leaf still showing on the chain and ribbed barrels. Never seen anything like it. Bracelet of some sort I guess. Buried down deep, thought for sure it was going to be a button. Have found fur trading bling out here before. Google image search was of no help.

Last item is a flattened Latten spoon bowl remains. Stamp shows what looks like a hour glass so I hope to find the maker. Weird part was it rang very high and is shiny silver. Looking down my deep hole I thought for sure it was a Spanish 8 reales. I like finding Latten spoons but would have preferred a Spanish reales. It's not silver either.

Thanks for looking! Bill
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back