Yellow brass or gold plated?

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
Found this in a ag field at a old plantation site. House burned in early 1900's. Has been farmed over for many many years! This is how it looked when I pulled it out of the ground. I gently cleaned it with warm water and toothbrush. I have pulled out many pieces of brass that was completely tarnished however, this piece has some green tarnish but some shiny gold like areas. How can you tell bt yellow brass and gold plated? Thanks so very much!

Attachments

• image-1121806378.jpg
    image-1121806378.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-924137505.jpg
    image-924137505.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-392560163.jpg
    image-392560163.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 113
brass would be likely solid material.plating usually shows areas of failure(like that piece)the patina on failed area prolly copper as copper was more often under plating.hope it helps

Upvote 0
brass would be likely solid material.plating usually shows areas of failure(like that piece)the patina on failed area prolly copper as copper was more often under plating.hope it helps

Thank you!! Makes since. Not going to clean it. Scared I will remove the plating! Now i will try to figure out what it is...,

Upvote 0
has a locket kinda feel....just a guess...any indication of hinging?

Upvote 0
has a locket kinda feel....just a guess...any indication of hinging?

It is hollow and the top has where it was attached to something. I will take a closer look! A face being on both sides I would think it would be jewelry of some sort? Religious symbol? Mother Mary? Found a pocket knife with Greek looking head with snake around the neck the other day in same spot. Crazy.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back