Yardsale Trunk

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I found this at a yard sale. Has anyone ever seen one like it? It is large probably 5'X3'X3',and weighs about 90lbs. All of the iron bits are hand forged and formed. It is made from a dense hardwood and very old. The religious iconography appears to be Hindu. Only half the lid opens. My battery died in my camera or I would have had more pictures. Thanks for looking,
Michael
I made the rookie mistake of posting GIANT pictures. Can someone help me out here?

Attachments

• box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    480.1 KB · Views: 673
  • box.JPG
    box.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 672
Cool old trunk :icon_thumright:

Tim

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 650
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0
Interesting piece. Circus trunk is a great guess. What did you pay for it?

Upvote 0
I gave a fellow $50.00 for it. It may be one of the strangest antiques I have ever seen. It really appears to be as old as dirt! I bet it has some stories to tell.

Upvote 0
That one looks similar. A lot of the figures are the same. It looks like it's from the same part of the world anyway.
Thanks,
Michael

Upvote 0
Great Trunk...I would try Pook and Pook Auction House out of Pennsylvania http://www.pookandpook.com/
They are a great company who put out a fabulous catalog (Our item was on front cover last October) They are really fast and got our money to us immediately. You can email with what you have and he will get back to you right away after auction date...that is if you want to sell...

I was not happy with Christies at all...when I talke to them about our item they said they didnt deal with what we had...that they had no market for them...blah blah blah....then a few days later they called apologizing all over the place about how they now wanted to sell it for us....we went to Pook and Pook and were extremely happy

Upvote 0
Wow! :icon_thumleft: I have to admit, if it were me, I would have bought that immediately, I love the style. Would like to see what it looks like restored. :icon_sunny:

-Paul

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up on Pook and Pook. I'll shoot them an email. I have considered trying Gallery 63 in Atlanta, they're the ones with the Auction Kings TV show. I'm only @ 100 miles from their business. The thing that that bothered me about them was a consigners fee of 35%. Maybe that's normal for that type of gallery? Just seemed high to me. I use some local auctions around here and they use a sliding scale which usually amounts to @ 15 - 20%. Maybe the big leagues are different.

Upvote 0
"35%. Maybe that's normal for that type of gallery? Just seemed high to me."

Normal, also watch for hidden fees such as photography etc..

Yet a good company will still get you more money than trying to sell it your self.

Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
Great Trunk...I would try Pook and Pook Auction House out of Pennsylvania http://www.pookandpook.com/
They are a great company who put out a fabulous catalog (Our item was on front cover last October) They are really fast and got our money to us immediately. You can email with what you have and he will get back to you right away after auction date...that is if you want to sell...

I was not happy with Christies at all...when I talke to them about our item they said they didnt deal with what we had...that they had no market for them...blah blah blah....then a few days later they called apologizing all over the place about how they now wanted to sell it for us....we went to Pook and Pook and were extremely happy

Got the same crap from Christies, sold my items through feebay for very, very nice $$

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back