Xian ping yuan bao?

Frankmoons

Oct 18, 2023
Found this the other day while metal detecting. I have done a little bit of research but not sure. Hopefully you guys can shed some light. What do you think it is?
1000004153.jpg

WELCOME ! personally I just say "Cash Coin" :tongue3:

Hopefully someone here knows More :coffee2:

I like attributing coins, but never got into these. Good luck!

Welcome to Tnet.

Yes, it’s a Northern Song Dynasty one cash coin for the Chen Tsung (Zhenzong) Emperor. The coin is from the first era of his reign: Hsien-P’ing (Xianping) between AD 998-1003 with characters reading “Xian Ping Yuan Bao“ (Xianping / Original currency).

It should be in bronze with a diameter between about 23-25mm and a weight in the region of 3.5g (the corrosion may affect this a little). The coin exists with both a narrow and wide rim (yours is the wide rim variety) and both have a blank reverse. This picture from Robert Kokotailo’s ‘Calgary Coin’ website:

Cash.jpg

Nice find, although not a valuable coin, even if it were in better condition.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet.

Yes, it’s a Northern Song Dynasty one cash coin for the Chen Tsung (Zhenzong) Emperor. The coin is from the first era of his reign: Hsien-P’ing (Xianping) between AD 998-1003 with characters reading “Xian Ping Yuan Bao“ (Xianping / Original currency).

It should be in bronze with a diameter between about 23-25mm and a weight in the region of 3.5g (the corrosion may affect this a little). The coin exists with both a narrow and wide rim (yours is the wide rim variety) and both have a blank reverse. This picture from Robert Kokotailo’s ‘Calgary Coin’ website
View attachment 2110734

Welcome to Tnet.

It should be in bronze with a diameter between about 23-25mm and a weight in the region of 3.5g (the corrosion may affect this a little). The coin exists with both a narrow and wide rim (yours is the wide rim variety) and both have a blank reverse. This picture from Robert Kokotailo’s ‘Calgary Coin’ website:

View attachment 2110734

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back