WWII bomb found in Maine

Out here in southern Cal we have a area called the Carriso Impact area. It's smack dab in the middle of the main pioneer trail from Yuma to LA. I REALLY REALLY want to out there... but not at that risk. The Navy said it was " clean " back in the 60's and the park reopened the area. However after someone found more ordnance and lost a arm the Navy took it back and it's been closed since then. It's a shame just how much area down here was " taken " over by the military ( during WWII ) and still not able to be used. I mean that's over 60 years ago. You would think they could have cleaned it up by now. I know some are thinking about the cost to do so. But if they had their Mine sweeping classes in these area's that would be cost effective... At least I think so... Really I just want those places availbale.... safely....
PLL

pegleglooker said:
Out here in southern Cal we have a area called the Carriso Impact area. It's smack dab in the middle of the main pioneer trail from Yuma to LA. I REALLY REALLY want to out there... but not at that risk. The Navy said it was " clean " back in the 60's and the park reopened the area. However after someone found more ordnance and lost a arm the Navy took it back and it's been closed since then. It's a shame just how much area down here was " taken " over by the military ( during WWII ) and still not able to be used. I mean that's over 60 years ago. You would think they could have cleaned it up by now. I know some are thinking about the cost to do so. But if they had their Mine sweeping classes in these area's that would be cost effective... At least I think so... Really I just want those places availbale.... safely....
PLL

I know. I've been in there a few times. I can tell you for a fact that there is still a LOT of unexploded ordinance there. You will see a lot of these posted:

impactareaya9.jpg

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back