Attachments

• image-3004312637.jpg
    image-3004312637.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image-513434379.jpg
    image-513434379.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0
Call me paranoid but I'm thinking that is most certainly a job for the bomb squad. I would have been too nervous to even dig around that.

Upvote 0
Looks like an empty (used) artillery shell casing to me but I'm no expert and photos can be deceiving...
But I will second Aussie in my own way...

Are you nuts man?

You dug around it when it was "nose-down" in the earth not knowing if it was live or not? Do you have a millitary background? Lots of members in here do but I still think they would leave such a find alone...

Upvote 0
The guy in the photo was actually my friend and he works in the bomb squad. :) good i didn't take it home.

Upvote 0
As my posting-name suggests, artillery projectiles are my specialty-area of relic study. Not enough information and photos were provided to enable us to do more than "theorize" about this object. For example, you don't say what country it was dug in. You gave us a view of one end of the object, but not its other end. Also, the photos are distant-view, instead of closeup views needed for accurate identification.

I'd at least like to have seen it with the thick dirt-encrustation washed off.

Its shape more resembles a "necked" artillery casing than a projectile. Also, it is EXTREMELY long in comparison to its diameter... which suggests it is a casing rather than a projectile. However, that object appears to be rusty, indicating it is made of iron/steel. Artillery projectile casings tend to not be made of iron/steel. Therefore, this object might not be an artillery object.

Upvote 0
It was all found in Poland forest/field.
Sorry but I'm no expert so i just left that first one however the following ones might be better quality pics. Thanks: )

Attachments

• image-2925438735.jpg
    image-2925438735.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 240
  • image-1317469440.jpg
    image-1317469440.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 237
  • image-660068057.jpg
    image-660068057.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Did you really dig these? If you don't respond I think I know why.......

It was all found in Poland forest/field.
Sorry but I'm no expert so i just left that first one however the following ones might be better quality pics. Thanks: )

Upvote 0
I'd guess a 75mm shell casing. These are British, but German and U.S. had similar. Measure the length and diameter across the mouth.

British___75mm_AP_and_HE.jpg

U.S.
shell1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back