WW I Iron Cross: real or fake?

Dodger2

Mar 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings:

In cleaning out my dad's many collectibles (a really good stamp collection, coins, etc., etc.,) I came across what appears to be a WW I Iron Cross. It has passed the magnetic test. The suspension ring has a maker's mark, but I can't distinguish the letters. Wondering if it's real and if anyone has seen a similar maker's mark. Thanks so much! (BTW, it was in a velvet bag with a Gott Mit Uns belt buckle.) 20200304_103714.jpg20200303_160500.jpg20200303_160507.jpg20200304_103630.jpg

Looks real to me, but I'm no expert...
Awesome piece!!

Upvote 0
My hunch is that my dad purchased the Iron Cross (2nd class) at a sale of some sort. No one in my family fought in WWI, so I don't know how it got to the States. I do know that there are lots and lots of Iron Cross's (2nd class) around (just look at eBay!) I did some reading up on the award and tests for authenticity, but I really need an expert evaluation. Will be heading to a larger city soon and will try to find someone who can evaluate the piece. In the meantime, I appreciate all the feedback!

Upvote 0
I'll agree that it looks real. This page has a list of LDO codes and maker marks - maybe you can find some ideas there. I can't quite read them either, but I think I see a "G" in there.

Upvote 0
My hunch is that my dad purchased the Iron Cross (2nd class) at a sale of some sort. No one in my family fought in WWI, so I don't know how it got to the States. I do know that there are lots and lots of Iron Cross's (2nd class) around (just look at eBay!) I did some reading up on the award and tests for authenticity, but I really need an expert evaluation. Will be heading to a larger city soon and will try to find someone who can evaluate the piece. In the meantime, I appreciate all the feedback!

Wehrmacht awards web site can authenticate for you fairly easily.

Main page of the website.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums - Powered by vBulletin

WWI, Imperial Militaria section where you would need to post.

Imperial Militaria Forum - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Here's a subsection of the Imperial Militaria section, shows the markings and all of the EK1, lots of excellent information.

Study Of Ekdata Base 1914 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Upvote 0
That EK2 is as good as gold. No doubt about it. I'd guess the mm is KAG, with the "A" distorted. Here's a pic of a KAG cross for comparison. Look closely at the crown shape and also oak leaf shape to ID. Also a poor pic of the KAG mark. I have around 30 1914 EK2's. Gary

KAG1a.jpgKAG1b.jpgKAG1c.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back