WV Creek 6.29.19

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561952057.955894.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561952107.879165.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561952118.922941.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561952128.843831.jpg

Upvote 0
Killer blade too bad broke but still really nice , I stayed in harpers ferry , WV this past weekend had a good time tubing down Shanendoah river .... every time we went near the edge of river I was looking for artifacts but that’s some rough conditions too hunt so much broken rock fragments I imagine the creeks are tough as well

Hope you had a good time arrow, Herper’s Ferry is as far away from me as it gets for staying in the state. I’m in Putnam Co. in the east, just between Charleston and Huntington.

Kanawha black. (did I spell it right?) I don't think I've ever seen a point from WVA that wasn't made from that black stuff. Cool material. Gary

Correct Gary, Kanawha (kuh-nah) Black, I think technically it is a chert. The creeks in the Teays Valley are loaded with chunks of that stuff.

The only flint/chert artifacts I find are black.

I don’t think the break has been reworked and I can’t tell if the break was ancient or modern. I’d does seem that the majority of flaking was on one side, so much I think it would be a flake knife.

Reuellis,

Nice piece, I don’t see a lot of big stuff like that come from WVA.

I appreciate the pronunciation help with material, I think I’ve always tossed an extra sound or two in there. (kah-nah-wa.)

Joshua

Correct Gary, Kanawha (kuh-nah) Black, I think technically it is a chert. The creeks in the Teays Valley are loaded with chunks of that stuff.

The only flint/chert artifacts I find are black.

I don’t think the break has been reworked and I can’t tell if the break was ancient or modern. I’d does seem that the majority of flaking was on one side, so much I think it would be a flake knife.

Even broken it looks amazing and I would put it in a frame. Has a base like an Adena blade. I could be way off so what time frame are you thinking? I got my camera to work today just for you.

Early to middle archaic, as far as I can tell by the pints I’ve found in the same creek. Some later stuff is all around but I don’t find it in this watershed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back