WTF?

I am not a coin expert but slabbed generally means good.

Last edited:
My apologies for not being clear. Take a close look at the coin...if that shouldn't have had a "Details" grading, then I'm lost! (multiple scratches and improper cleaning). I don't mind eBay at all, it's the numerical grading that I'm questioning.

aj

unless it's the plastic throwing things off I see what you mean now.

an AU does seem generous

Lousy eye appeal, yes.

Fraudulent? No. Not sure why you would go to such extremes to point this out...

I have seen (and submitted my own) "Detail" coins graded by NGC that didn't have nearly as much damage as this one. It is an AU, but the damage is extensive (it appears to be "Improperly Cleaned" and "Scratched"); does it deserve a number instead of" Details"? When I state "fraudulent", I mean, was this coin replaced? I think it's a lesson on not merely relying on the fact that a coin is slabbed prior to purchase. Eye appeal is important, but there are people who are talented in switching-out slabbed coins.

aj

Last edited:
IMO it got a generous grade, but not by a lot. Without having it in hand for inspection and just judging by the photos, I'd say it was XF40 or a late die state XF45. Seems like a lot of crud in the cracks for an AU rating. As for eye appeal, that's in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it's particularly attractive but I've seen worse graded higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back