WOW!!! 1st attempt cleaning clad using electrolysis method

haboo

Jun 27, 2007
Hampshire, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
::) Well don't know what happened but as you can see I got some pretty colorful coins...lol. The 2 Normal color coins are for comparison. Ok ...here is my set up ...

12v battery charger set at 1 amp. also tried 12v 400ma charger also same results.
plastic bowl
stainless spoon
stainless paperclip to hold coin
tap water
baking soda

As you can see although they cleaned up nice (super dirty to start) they are now a pretty orange/rust color. Not exactly the results I was shooting for.

ANY THOUGHTS? As to what caused this to happen.

Attachments

• CCI00020.jpg
    CCI00020.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 876
Try replacing the paper clip with a chrome plated alagator clip ( Radio Shack). See if that helps.

I normally use salt in place of the baking soda.

Ray S

I get that color if I put pennies in with my dimes and quarters etc. If you put them in one coin at a time did you change the water between uses. Did any at of the wiring get into the liquid? I also use salt and water. Monty

Thanks for the replies

Ok..tried complete new setup changed clips, bowl, spoon, used water from a stream, and used salt instead of baking soda. I'm still getting the same results. Dime is for comparison. Any more ideals? Could it be in the water? So far I tried tap water , boiled tap water, and water from our creek. I have not tried distilled water yet.

Attachments

• CCI00021.jpg
    CCI00021.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 761
Try some distilled water. Therein my lay the problem. Maybe the minerals in the water....>Try some tap water or distilled water, of coarse use a stainless steal spoon and try it again.

I think i'm going to make a few more like these, unique color coin, kinda like um. I still need to try using distilled water though.

after polish.....pic does not do them justice

Attachments

• CCI00025.jpg
    CCI00025.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,410
I use a large drinking glass and salt with 2 alligater clips 1 for the spoon and 1 for the coin.i also add a few drops of lemon juice, dont mix copper in or youll get red coins

I think your problem is the metals that the coins are made from. Clad is best cleaned with a rock tumbler, use electrolysis for silver and gold. Copper has a real problem with Electrolysis.

Keep @ it and HH!!

It appears you are ELECTROPLATING copper on to them, can be coming from wire or copper on edge of coins.
CURIOUS (I was taught to use citric acid , which would be like person adding Lemon Juice). Does just salt or baking soda work the same??, as it will save a few bucks in supplies

Just a thought. Make sure that the alligator clip holding the coin does not go in the water. I read this somewhere and it makes sense.
-Moe

Sounds like maybe you have the wires reversed,seeing your not using alligator clips(you probably should at least have one for the one holding the coin)I'd take the wires off the spoon and the paper clip and put both ends off the wires in opposite sides of your container,make sure you have the baking soda mixed in the water..and your looking to see which wire end starts to fizz(this will be the wire you connect the coin to) while the other wire(one that does NOT fizz) goes on the spoon or any other stainless item.

i also use baking soda and distilled water...if you do not have distilled water you should run your warm tap water through a coffee filter to remove minerals then it will be fine to use....DO NOT CLEAN your pennies in the same solvent as your silver looking clad and vise versa..always change solvents when cleaning different metal types....Salt will clean your coins faster but gets really dirty very quick....Baking soda will clean slower but allow you to clean many more coins in the same solvent without having to change it so often.

below is a link to the one i made with before/after pics as well as one pic is my setup
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107894.0.html

UnEarthed72 said:
Sounds like maybe you have the wires reversed,seeing your not using alligator clips(you probably should at least have one for the one holding the coin)I'd take the wires off the spoon and the paper clip and put both ends off the wires in opposite sides of your container,make sure you have the baking soda mixed in the water..and your looking to see which wire end starts to fizz(this will be the wire you connect the coin to) while the other wire(one that does NOT fizz) goes on the spoon or any other stainless item.

i also use baking soda and distilled water...if you do not have distilled water you should run your warm tap water through a coffee filter to remove minerals then it will be fine to use....DO NOT CLEAN your pennies in the same solvent as your silver looking clad and vise versa..always change solvents when cleaning different metal types....Salt will clean your coins faster but gets really dirty very quick....Baking soda will clean slower but allow you to clean many more coins in the same solvent without having to change it so often.

below is a link to the one i made with before/after pics as well as one pic is my setup
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107894.0.html

Thank you all for your suggestions/tips.

Well after about 100 coins trying all methods above, I'm still getting mixed results. I truly think its in the water.

UnEarthed72 said:
if you do not have distilled water you should run your warm tap water through a coffee filter to remove minerals then it will be fine to use
GREAT IDEAL....will give it a go and post results

Its pulling the copper from the center of the coin.. Electrolysis isn't good for clad.. Better off with a tumbler and sand.. Also the problem with the electrolysis process is that it does not dissolve the corrosion just the metal surface of the object which causes the corrosion to fall off..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back