Would like to hunt for gems in Colorado

vannchan

Greenie
Mar 31, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Titan 2000xd
I am taking my family to Colorado in July. We will be in Gunnison July 4 thru 8, then going up to Yellowstone and back, then will be in the Denver area for 4 days before returning home. My wife would really like to find a place to hunt for gens. She saw a show which mentioned aquamarine and smoky quartz as well as others. Where would be a good place for us to go? :help: We are not experienced at this. When we went to Arkansas, we visited Crystal mines where they dump the tailings and you could pick through those all day for a fee. We did enjoy that and I imagine my wife envisions that sort of experience. Any info will be appreciated.

The Colo. aquamarine occurs at the top of Antero Peak at an elevation of around 14,000 ft. It is the highest gem locality in the U.S. You need a jeep. It is also as vastly claimed as it is vast. Smokey quartz occurs in many parts of the Pikes Peak batholith, but many areas are also claimed, especially where amazonite is involved. It takes some research. What I might recommend though is the Topaz Mtn. Gem Mine, if it is still in operation, it may be precisely the excursion you all seek. Google it and see what you can find out. There have been spectacular gems, valued in the tens of thousands found there by owners in the past. They had (or have) an operation where visitors can screen or search for gems for a cost. Or, while in Denver, you could search for gold in Cherry Creek. Remember that the original channel of C. C. was diverted from and built over, so check basements and new construction! Luck to you, Colo. is full of good stuff.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. I found a blurb on the mine you suggested - it sounds like fun - now to find out where it is and if it is still open. The last time we were in Colorado we went on a mine tour and stuck around for panning in their sluice. I never got the hang of it,my wife did a little, the boys had fun. We'll probably do that again near Denver. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back