worst copper ever! possibly unidentifible. thanks for looking

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so this is the coin i can't id and i'm givving up. not much to go on. the reverse is pretty much just toast. the coin is crushed so measuring it is almost out of the question. I've been finding other large copper half pennies (2 George II 36 and 49, draped bust ND, and a classic head half 1809). I'm assuming this should be in the same time frame. could just be too far gone. thanks for looking.
2n9lu1d.jpg

front
2s6kf8y.jpg

back

That second post helps. My best guess is another George II penny, but who can really know. But if you rotated that third pic 90 degrees counterclockwise, it sort of looks like it might be his head's outline

Upvote 0
it's just really hard to match it up because the back is just trashed and the front is totally worn out. it could be a later george II but i just can't be certain.

Upvote 0
The back looks like it has parallel lines like ones associated with a shield.

Upvote 0
That old coin had a very rough life...if it could talk the story it would tell...love the look of that coin ...great find whatever it is !!
Gary

Upvote 0
thanks Gary, I'm sure it was a well used coin. I found it lodged in between limestone rocks about 4 inches down which could be the reason it's just green and crooked. as for the shield motif. i can't find a copper coin with a left facing male front.

Upvote 0
Don't feel to bad, I have a few early coppers that I can only see outlines as well. Did you try coindatabase.com? Look at early UK George I, George II Farthings.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back